Here's a Solarwinds KB article that has more information regarding your first issue with the MMC snap-in.
The second issue does look to be caused by a problem with WSUS itself. Have you tried restarting the server yet? Did you confirm the WID is running?
1 of 1 people found this helpful
This problem has been fixed. These were the steps followed to repair WSUS.
- Using WSUS30-KB972455-x64.exe, uninstalled WSUS SP2 from the PM server.
- Granted the Datagrid Server service account the sysadmin role in SQL for the instance of the WSUS database.
- Using the WSUS30-KB972455-x64.exe and the Datagrid Server service account I re-installed WSUS SP2
- Re-applied the patch KB2734608.
- Set the application pool for WSUS to .net4.0
Not entirely sure what was broken and why this process fixed it but it did.