3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 3:10 PM by VM Solutions

Remote WMI - Access Denied

forawsum

I have been working to turn on an event log monitor and service monitor for the past few days. I noticed when I would test it would fail the test. After some troubleshooting I found that I can not even make a remote WMI call from any workstation or other server to this server.

PS H:\> gwmi -ComputerName myserver -class win32_computersystem

gwmi : Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

At line:1 char:1

+ gwmi -ComputerName myserver -class win32_computersystem

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WmiObject], UnauthorizedAccessException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

. I downloaded and ran WMIDiag from Micrsoft and it detected some issues that I

I did the two suggested fixes and it now says that WMI is configured properly. However, I still cannot connect remotely. I am running as a domain admin account and verified that domain admins are in the local administrators group. I have even tried explicitly adding the username to the ACL with full permissions.

have remote enabled available on the WMI configuration at the root level.

Capture2.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Any ideas?

• Re: Remote WMI - Access Denied
          JaroslawLadyga

Hi,

I have the same problem. Server - I'd like to monitor Event Log - is in DMZ what should not be a problem (all firewall settings got checked while all ports opened).

There are lot of below error messages on Event log of DMZ server:

"Login failed for user 'dmz\adminServiceUser'. Reason: Attempting to use an NT account name with SQL Server Authentication. [CLIENT: xx.xx.xx.xx]"

[CLIENT: xx.xx.xx.xx] is Orion server IP.

User 'dmz\adminServiceUser' has full admin access to DMZ server.

In the same time I have more monitors for services and performance counters on the same server. The only problem was with WMI as Fetching Method, I must use RPC to monitor services. But there is no choice if to use monitor for Event Log.

I'm pretty close to suspect bug in Credentials relaying of Orion SAM.

dd8900

I thought I would bump this thread as I have the same issue.  Has anyone in the SolarWinds community successfully created a Windows PowerShell Monitor that uses Get-WmiObject?

EDIT: Never mind.  I answered my own question.  For anyone else who finds this thread, adding -Credential ${CREDENTIAL} resolved my issue.

VM Solutions

forawsum Verify the 'Everyone' group does not include a 'deny' access entry. If it does, remove it and you should be able to perform remote WMI calls.