4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 8:50 AM by Andrew M

Unable to find the Update by ID to perform the requested operation.

Andrew M

I'm getting the error message below from a few clients when I attempt to push out a custom 3rd party patch using update manager:

Update not applicable. Unable to find the Update by ID to perform the requested operation. The update may not be applicable for the selected computer Result Code: 0x80240003

I have not approved the patch, since I want to limit it's application, but it has applied successfully to several dozen other machines by the same method. I'm certain that the patch is applicable, since the applicability and installed rules test only for the existence or absence of a single registry key, and I have verified that the registry key exists on the machine.

When I check the Windows Update log for references to the Update ID, I find only the following message, repeated once for every attempt I have made to install the update

2013-03-11    12:53:49:492     780    e94    Agent    Update {071C9231-8426-4B73-8032-B9E90D69727F}.1 has no local extended metadata. Not returning it.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve this?

• Re: Unable to find the Update by ID to perform the requested operation.
          David Di Blasio

There's a few different situations that can result in the error "has no local extended metadata. Not returning it". As this update is working for some machines I'm leaning towards datastore corruption on the affected machines.

Try running through the following steps on one of the problematic machines and let us know if the update returns a valid result.

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop.

3. Minimize the Services (local) window.

4. Rename c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old.

5. Maximize the Services (local) window.

6. In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.

7. Restart the computer, and then run the update against this machine with the problematic update.