This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Sort Endpoints by Ingress/Egress Packets versus Bytes

I am very new and just evaluating the NTA product for forgive this question if it's a very obvious answer that I have just overlooked...

Is there a way to have the Top Endpoints view sort by Ingress and/or Egress Packets instead of Bytes?  Normally when we see a DDoS attack it isn't necessarily a large amount of data but a large number of packets that are being sent.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

• Thanks for the response.  I took a look at the solution that you linked to and it seems like there should be a much easier way to do this.  Maybe I need to put in a feature request if one doesn't already exist for this.

• You could try using a report instead, since it's not possible to sort by packets within the charts..

If you open the report writer on the Orion server itself (Start > Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Alerting, Reporting & Mapping)

On the left under ‘historical netflow reports’, open the ‘Top 50 endpoints – last 24 hours’ report’

Under the report designer, go to select fields and add the packets Transferred Total field, or similar.

NTA report.jpg

Ensure you sort by that field, instead of the total bytes transferred and this should give you what you need.

I would then change the name of the report in the general tab and go to file -> save as and save it as a separate report.

Finally, you could then customize the NTA summary page, or create an alternative one and add in a 'Report from Orion Report writer' resource and select your new report to be displayed within the same view you currently use.

• Unfortunately there is currently no way to have NTA top charts sorted by anything else then bytes. It sounds to me like a nice feature request, so it would be great if you create a poll here on Thwack so others could vote it up