29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 9:55 AM by sevier.toby

Let's just eliminate alerting altogether, okay?

gallifreyan

Hi folks, I'm Robert Novak, a long time sysadmin, once and future sysadmin manager, new Thwack ambassador, and a guy who gets really tired of his phone buzzing out of control.

Having had oncall duty be on my plate for much of the past two decades, I know the pain of one easy-to-fix problem causing your phone to actually leave the room on its own.

Maybe your monitoring system is housed outside the production network, and when that network link fails, all 1500 of your alerts go red (or brown, if your alerting system is honest). Perhaps someone restarts the DNS server with a pound-sign comment in a zone file, same thing happens.

Or maybe it's a honest lolcat-astrophe. A storage server crashes, or the nfs mount your web farm lives on goes bad. Still, you're getting a couple hundred (or more) alerts that could be traced back to one. And if you'd had that structure in mind when you set everything up, you might have had one alert and fixed it in 5 minutes, rather than having

management on the phone asking why you're talking on the phone instead of fixing the problem.

I know what I've done in the past, and I'm not that proud of it, but I'd like to hear your thoughts...

• How do you make your alerting system work for you, rather than against you?
      • Do you implement dependency trees, or just loosely adjust what pages / emails / only shows up on the web dashboard?
      • If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that?
      • What's the biggest wish you have for your current alerting system?

When you're done here, come see the next post... You do love oncall duty, don't you?

Reply to this post to get an entry in the March Ambassador Engagement contest. An iPod Nano sits in the balance!

• Re: Let's just eliminate alerting altogether, okay?
          rharland2012

1. We strive to keep the right amount of information propagating alert-wise - not too little, not too much. The vast majority of non-invasive alerts never make it to phone/email notification and instead are examined and acted on when needed at the event console.

2. We started with loose adjustments, and have since tailored dependencies more completely. Unfortunately, being carpet-bombed by excessive alerts was our best lesson to effectively implement dependencies.

3. See no.2.

4. It's working pretty well, actually.

deverts

Just my 2 cents worth, as I watch this thread grow and read the postings.  This is definitely a hot topic for me that I will watch closely.

1.  Do dependencies actual work now?  I've tried using them in the past and have not had much luck.  I've seen them become nested meshes of goo, and painful to administer.

2.  There are tons of posting about them not working.  I suspect others have found the same thing I have, they work as designed, not as desired.

I suspect rharland2012 is correct, dependancies are the right answer to this long time issue, but I'd like to see how others are solving this.  Additionally, if dependencies are the right answer, please provide any gotcha's that you have run into and advice so I can build mine correctly. 

D

rharland2012

D, they've worked well for us. Most commonly, we use them when monitoring our locations across the WAN to prevent excessive alerts in case of circuit problems, etc.

No gotchas per se, but I will say this - when building your dependencies, make the polling more granular for your parent nodes to help make the dependency more accurate for elimination of dupes.

For example, if your parent node is a router at your B location fronting network and infrastructure resources at said location, poll the router for life every two minutes if you're polling your normal stuff every five.

This has helped to eliminate the scenario where the dependency is working normally, but polling cycles may line up where one of the child nodes STILL reports down first.

byrona

Our environment contains about every major aspect of modern technology and we monitor just about all of it.  We are also a service provider so our environment(s) are often changing.  Because of these things managing dependencies for us would be a never ending workload that probably couldn't be justified.

As one of the folks here that is on call I am completely familiar with the noted issues.  We have a 24x7x365 NOC that provides Triage for all of the alerts before escalating so at least I don't have the hundreds of alerts going directly to my phone as I know many do.

To more specifically answer some of the questions...

Q: How do you make your alerting system work for you, rather than against you?

By making the alerts as intelligent as possible and constantly tuning thresholds.

Q: Do you implement dependency trees, or just loosely adjust what pages / emails / only shows up on the web dashboard?

No, for the reasons noted above.

Q: If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that.

We don't use dependency trees.

Q: What's the biggest wish you have for your current alerting system?

That configuration of the alerts were web based, I hate having to RDP to the darn system every time I want to look at or modify an aler

gallifreyan

To see current status of an alert for me, I hit a web page that's available over SSL. We're migrating that to something that has to be reached over VPN, but compared to having to RDP to a Windows server to view/modify, that's not too bad.

When I've had environments that had direct web-based or email-based acknowledgement of alerts (i.e click on a link in your alert email, or reply to it, to snooze the alert while you get your laptop woken up and VPN connected), those were really good. But I can see why email might not be considered the most reliable method of access. Heck, there are still people selling Blackberry (pre-phone) service for people who want highly reliable SMS analogues.

Thanks for the feedback.

freid.42

I think there is no fix to the "system is down" altering function. It kind of needs to be there so we know when/if there is a bigger issue.

I make our system work for me by only adding me to the alerts I need to be added to. I really only want alerted on critical infrastructure outages.

I agree with byrona, web based configuration would be great!

Jay Harris

This is a great question that does not have a “one size fits all” resolution, as business needs change over time. We are in the middle of revisiting this specific issue in our team, so this is strikes very close to home.

Byrona’s comments about his experiences also ring true with our SolarWinds experiences, but I will try to add to the discussion with some of our details.

Q1: How do you make your alerting system work for you, rather than against you?

A1: We have begun limiting email alerts to only events that management expects action to be taken on, and only during the window that management expects the action to be taken. We still send all issues to the SolarWinds event log.

A1.1: We heavily use severity levels and assigned responsibilities (via custom attributes and SAM names) to route the flow of emails to only the “correct party” and only in the “appropriate” window.

Q2: Do you implement dependency trees, or just loosely adjust what pages / emails / only shows up on the web dashboard?

A2: Dependency trees have not been as useful as we had hoped. rharland2012’s comment to adjust the polling intervals is interesting, but will require some testing for us, I am not sure how that would impact our SLAs.

Q3: If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that?

A3. We do not yet so I have nothing to share.

Q4. What's the biggest wish you have for your current alerting system?

A4. SolarWinds requirement of a local application to create a new alert is very awkward. We were glad to see some of the information and tweaking of alerts become available in the web console, but we really need a full web based advanced alert management system to make our usage optimal.

A4.1 Another large pain point for us is that alerts only “trigger” once. We have all issues send a notification to the SolarWinds event log as soon as it is identified – 24x7. But some of our management assigned action windows are not 24x7. As far as we have found, this means to meet our managers’ requirements, we need a 24x7 event writing alert and a second alert that sends the email in the support window.

zzz

For most of your examples, I'd feel it's pretty important to have you be alerted (abiet maybe not with 1000+ emails).

A: We have multiple "layers" of alerts. The basic alert with no delay logs things to SW. A secondary alert with a delay of 3-5 minutes informs the main network team. This is still mostly for log purposes, but reported to our emails rather than the server. If there are any region specific manager/network team, they will also recieve a specific alert here. And lastily, if one of the more central/vital nodes goes down, then another alert is set to the team/those on call. This, as you can imagine, leaves us with a lot of alerts, but most of it does not neccessarily require prompt investigation. It also kinda makes the Custom Alert list a bit of a mess needing multiple "prefix/suffix" letters to just manage the organization of all the alerts (ex: bNodedown is the basic, eNodedown_m emails to main team, eNodedown_s1 goes to side teams, eNodeDown_z is for important nodes, etc.)

Q: Do you implement dependency trees, or just loosely adjust what pages / emails / only shows up on the web dashboard?

A: Yes, we have dependencies, but they don't always work. We still get alerts from dependent members seldomly, regardless of delay/polling interval(which we rather not mess with anyway). Thinking about using more sophicasted custom queries to cut down multiple alerts when I have more time.

Q: If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that?

A. Build them from the start.

Q. What's the biggest wish you have for your current alerting system?

A. Don't mind going to the server to make the alerts too much- we have that server just for SW and use things like custom properties app and other things on there anyway. However, I'd made a number of requests for SW alerting: have alert actions change/append custom properties, make it possible to group/subdivide alerts on the list for better organization, make it an option that all alerts of one type get condensed into 1 email per minute such like what NCM does per scheduled report email (ex: if 30 nodes fail at once, 4 of which are important, we'll only get 5 emails- one that states that 30 nodes failed(and what they were), and one for each important nodes failed). Some of these can be done using scripts, but I'd rather have them encapsulated within SW for simplicity plus less risk of messing other things up.

mdriskell

I agree I just shut my servers down and am going home. 

dprocopio

I try to keep the # of configured alerts to less than a dozen.  At some point, you've got to hand ownership of an asset over to the application owners and not put all the management weight on your monitoring system.  We don't dig too much into dependencies because that situation is pretty easy to diagnose when you're asked to investigate multiple machines that all happen to live in the same location.

Our IS culture got so bad they'd try to smokescreen real problems by saying NPM was the issue as it "didnt send an alert" (when it actually did, which is pretty easy to prove when you're an Enteprise Admin)...or  they would drive their entire team's productivity off of Orion alerts as some sort of performance metric.  A good deal of alerts cause needless panic across the organization as the recipient doesn't correlate high utilization or maintenance activities with NPM alerts.

After gutting this implementation, I deliver very basic, "this is worth a look" information out via email.  Then I put the responsibility on the application / network teams to proactively manage the dashboard and the assets themselves.  There's only so much a monitoring system should be asked to do.

Less is more.

lpsmith

A simple solution I thought of would be to have all the critical conditions available on a webpage,  and then send an alert when new critical conditions arise.   These alerts would be rate-limited,  to at most one a minute or whatever timeframe is found to be best.    To really work well at this scale,  the system would need to automatically clear critical conditions once they are resolved.  It would probably be worth the effort to use AJAX or similar techniques to automatically update web pages that are open in a browser.

Perhaps this system would use information about which admins are looking at the critical condition page to make more intelligent decisions about whether or not to send an alert:   e.g.  if an admin has recently loaded the page,  then alerts don't need to be sent to that admin for a period of time.

ecklerwr1

By making the alerts as intelligent as possible and setting thresholds like condition has to exist for this long before it's worth sending an alert...

I have been using NPM for long time like byrona and am interested in applying dependencies but have been so used to not having them for so many years its taking me a little while to apply the idea in a way that works...  I think we'll eventually get there... although hearing it doesn't always work is a concern.

Q: If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that.

We don't use dependency trees... yet.

To have the number of alerts limited to important problems and not filled with needless information from the event stream.

Jonathan Angliss

By starting off with good known metrics before we setup alerts, we can control noise vs alerts.  For example, if a developer knows that an event ID of 1111 is a critical error, we'll alert on it. But if the developer doesn't have a strong idea of what the memory thresholds are for the application in a specific configuration, we'll monitor performance, load, and end user experience before we setup alerts (that's not to say we don't actually monitor it, but we won't generate an alert until we know what's an alertable action).

• Do you implement dependency trees, or just loosely adjust what pages / emails / only shows up on the web dashboard?

Absolutely. Applications reporting slow performance issues shouldn't generate alerts if we already know the cause is a failure at the SQL server level.  Or a block of hosts shouldn't report down, if the gateway is also unreachable.

• If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that?

For host dependencies, absolutely.  For application dependencies, we try to get a good idea of the configuration and application landscape from the start, that way we can work on those dependencies.

I'm working on tweaks to the alerting on certain events, such as disk space alerts (physical space size based on server role, rather than percentage... 10% of a 1TB drive is still a huge chunk of free space for example).

essby

A: I use custom properties to group nodes for the purposes of alerting.  A property for which group should get the alert and a property for how important the alert is like 'alert now', 'alert later', or 'alert only during business hours'.  This allows me to then create alerts for each group and time combination (group_A-alert_now, group_B-alert_now, group_A-alert_later, group_B-alert_later).  This makes creating the alerts fairly repetitive but once setup I don't have to keep creating new alerts.  When I add a node, I set the appropriate values in the custom properties and alerting is ready to go.

A: I use basic dependencies.  For example, all devices at remote offices are grouped using dynamic queries of the IP addresses and then that group is dependent on the router for that site.  I like that the query is dynamic so I don't have to remember to add new devices to the group/dependency.

Q: If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that?

A: I started with no dependencies and added them in later.  I created them in response to events that cause alert floods.  I have found the dependencies work well and are reasonably dependable (only a couple times have we received an extra alert that should have been caught by the dependency).  For me, fewer more meaningful alerts is a good thing.

A: I wish the alerts could use custom properties like variables.  Imagine if you could put in an email for who to alert and a delay number for alert after X amount of time, this would cut down on my mostly repetitive alerts while adding flexibility.

bsciencefiction.tv

We definitely use dependency trees.  We had the unfortunate situation to take over Orion form our network department, so we are having to build the dependencies on the back end, which would be the one knock I have on NPM, is the dependency set up is asinine. 

We try to only give attention to what needs to be addressed, while we like to have all the data available for our LOB's, we do not want to overwhelm them of the bat.  We just want them whelmed.

rharland2012

I apologize for prying, but your statement about 'taking over from our network department' piqued my curiosity. What department are you a part of that inherited the management of SW? That must have been challenging!

bsciencefiction.tv

I am in Enterprise Monitoring Administration.  We used to use CA Spectrum to monitor our network.  IPSwitch sold us on their Whats Up Gold product which never made it out of test.  As we began exploring options, we found our Network Team had this tool for inventory and reporting reasons, but did not have the man power to properly manage it.  They turned over to us to use as a Monitoring and reporting tool.  It was several versions behind.  We were able to update it, add some polling engines and modules and now it is a very powerful tool in our environment.  However, we are still having to "clean it up", ie dependencie...5000 of them, being done in retrospect.

RichardLetts

We decide what level of alert causes a ticket to be created (Node Down), or just an alert in Solarwinds that we will look at when we can. (interface alerts). if the interface alert affects service we'll undoubtedly get a node down. if it doesn't then it's degrade

We have a very large network with much redundancy in it, and no way to import the relationships, and nothing that builds the dependency graph for me.

apart from syslog and trap support in the advanced alert viewer?

Dependency trees built dynamically using discovery from the network management platform out to the device taking into consideration stacks of switches (in cisco terms think the 3750 series), VRRP, and multiple paths through the core routers complicate the issue. I can write things to dump that information out from our CMDB, but no way to import it into Solarwinds Orion.

Automatic alert suppresion when the rate goes over a certain threshold.

Bayesian filters on events, and syslogs, and events would be cool...

I get about 180,000 traps/day, 1,500,000 syslog messages/day ... I'd like to know what things I'm getting most often and the things I've receiving occasionally to help be decide which I need to keep, and which to discard...

Mike Lomax

Q:  How do you make your alerting system work for you, rather than against you?

A:  My main goal with implementing this new to the company system was to send out as few alerts as necessary while ranking the alert for the recipient and providing a summary of the situation while also not eliminating the detail they would need for further research.  To do this I rank events as Warning and Critical (problem state) following the same lead that Orion lays out and then take it a step further ranking the associated node or Application Monitor as a Vital or Non-Vital (component weight) component of the environment based on what impact the component being monitored would have on the Production environment if it was in a problem state.  The title of the alert notification provides the recipient with the problem state, the component weight and the name of the Application or Component Monitor which includes the node's hostname.  This provides that recipient with a lot of information about how they should handle the problem just by reading the subject line flashing across their email notification.  In the body I provide a secondary summary which helps to trigger an "Oh...  Now I get it..." moment followed by a much more detailed collection of variable data.

Q:  Do you implement dependency trees, or just loosely adjust what pages / emails / only shows up on the web dashboard?

A:  I do use dependencies but had been struggling to get the right mix to work for quite some time.  Recently I seem to have had the light bulb illuminate and all seems to be working fairly well except the occasional Child that rushes past the Parent to be first in reporting a problem that is not his.

Q:  If you use dependency trees, do you build the dependencies in from the start, or start by alerting on everything and working your way back from that?

A:  Based on previous experience many years ago, producing as few alert notifications as possible was one of my primary goals.  I know that recipients tend to start ignoring the alerts and bad mouthing the system if it is not benefiting them.  If they spend more time digging the relevant alerts out of the junk mail alerts than actually working the issue, that is a huge problem and I did not want that happening.  So yes I did implement dependencies as I initially built the system but that does not necessarily mean that they worked as I wanted.  It took a lot of tweaking to get it right but I think I now have about as best a configuration as I can get using the current dependency functionality.

• BTW:  I have ideas on how to improve this that I had not submitted until today under Consider a Dependency Tweak.  Please vote for this idea to push it along.

Q:  What's the biggest wish you have for your current alerting system?

A:  Better alerting notification methods as Alert Rule actions.  Our staff has an on-call rotation but many go about their personal lives, even if on-call, until the phone actually rings.  They don't receive company emails during off-hours and some don't even have smart phones (if you can believe that ).  This means that I need to be able to deliver voice alert notification calls to the on-call person and Orion currently does not support that.  I had heard that Alert Central was coming along and signed up for the Beta but it also does not offer this capability so I have shopped elsewhere.  Still don't have a solution in place but will need to move on this one soon.

While I don't do much with log analysis today I have implemented SNMP.  With trap alerts I am with others here that I would like to see these incorporated into Advanced Alert Manager and would also like to see these tied to nodes and be part of dependencies.  At the same time, I have never been very keen with depending on traps to let me know about a problem/situation.  For this I am instead working to build monitors that use SNMP technology to monitor and tell me more dependably when a problem exists.  This also gets those monitored components into Advanced Alert Manager and Dependencies so then I would just stop alerting on traps altogether.  My guess is that I will find the same holds true for syslogs when I get to that point.

superfly99

By having the alerts as fine tuned as possible. There needs to be a right balance as if too many alerts, people will just ignore them.

Yup I use the dependencies for all my remote sites. It works great for the site's that just have a router and a few switches. I just get the one alert to say the router is down, the rest of the alerts are supressed. But when a site has more than 1 router and more than 1 link coming in the setting up is a bit more difficult and I'm still working on tuning them.

I would now use dependencies from the start for any new remote sites we may get. But originally I was just monitoring everything and finetuned from that.

To have syslog alerting incorporated with the advanced alert manager. So we have all the alerts in the one place for configuration.

rgeist
                                                    • right now our alerting system is non-existent. But I'm going to make it work for us by only sending out email alerts when critical machines go down.  Basically reduce the bulk of emails and alerts given out so when the right people get one, they know it needs to be addressed quickly.
                                                    • Since we recently got solarwinds, I'm working on creating dependencies for alerting.  Right now it is a very slow process because of the group creation (we are going to have a bajillion groups and dependencies) then the actual dependency creation.  Right now all alerts show up on the dashboard, but that is because I haven't gotten around to filtering them out.
                                                    • I'm building dependencies first.
                                                    • Make grouping and dependencies a lot more automated in their creation.  I have barely scratched the surface on creating them and going through the web interface is too "clicky clicky."  I would love to be able to have a template made up that defines what dependencies I want and dynamically apply that across my groups so I don't have to manually define each dependency.  It is very slow.
                                                    gunner2510

1. we only alert if we see a need so we show the alert in the console and if we think we should see it via email, we add that to the alert.

2. We would implement dependency trees if they were easier to implement. WhatsUp Gold is very easy to implement dependencies

3. I have built 2 dependencies and they don't really work

4. take a tip from Whatsup Gold in their dependencies.  that works well and could be very easy to implement.

jeremydr

Dependencies work as long as you know how your device on your network are tied together, without the right parent, kiss it all goodbye,

if you have a multi site hub and spoke wan environment, make sure do have dependences on all your site routers as well

solaradmin

I am always nervous that if I start implementing the more advanced features like dependencies  its going to cause alerting to stop working, then on a Saturday our systems crash and nobody knows about it until Monday morning

We are working on getting alert central implemented to help prevent people from ignoring the alerts.

A feature that would be nice would be: Use a network or neighbor map  to create the dependencies. .

garetht

I'd love our monitoring to link into our Ticketing system - open a ticket on fail, close it on success  :/

sevier.toby

No clear way to fix easily, a primary GW IP going offline would alert only and disable any alerts that depend on this IP (devices behind the GW IP).  The end game goal should be an action for every alert.  Alert comes in, it gets acknowledged and an action is performed, alert is cleared.  Alerts should never be deleted and the only way to fix is to respond to each alert, find it in the alerting system and modify respectively until all alert emails mean an alert.