This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SSH from an Orion NPM 10.4.2 web page link

I have read about 20 old posts about various ways to kludge the Orion web page/browser/registry/whatever to allow a working SSH link.  I am wondering if someone has more recent concise instructions for making this happen.  We do not have the Orion toolset/integration.

The lack of this particular functionality has become, for us, one of the most frustrating things about Orion.

Currently when I click on the "Telnet" link on the node details page in the Advanced Node Details box, my PC launches a Putty telnet window to a node.

Most of us have moved on to allow only SSH for cli access to our Cisco and other nodes, so it is time to make a change.

I am looking for the easiest way to make this happen, even if I need to use a different ssh client.  We use Chrome, but are also willing to change browsers if that makes this easier.  We run Windows 7.

I can launch putty/ssh from a command line on my PC using c:\putty -ssh <ip address>.  I have not been able to get this working as a custom link on a view.

If you respond referring me to one of the old posts I mentioned reading, please do not do so unless you know if works both as written and currently.

Thanks!

Debbi

• I'm responding only to say, hear hear! I've been waiting for this (and asking about it) for about 2 years now.

• It's been a month, so I'm responding to bump the thread:)

Did anybody get this working?

• I setup the SSH protocol handler on my system to launch PuTTY per the registry changes below. This allows any link ssh://hostname to be processed by my workstation and launch with PuTTY. I use various utilities in a folder of my C drive called Tools with some UNIX utilities like sed.exe.

Registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh]
    @="URL:SSH Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Tools\\Putty.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh\shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\Tools\\ssh.bat\" \"%1\""

C:\Tools\ssh.bat:

@ECHO OFF

ECHO START "Putty" "C:\Tools\Putty.exe" -ssh %1 | "C:\Tools\sed.exe" "s_ssh://\([A-Za-z0-9.]*\)/_\1_" > "%TEMP%\sshlaunch.bat"

CALL "%TEMP%\sshlaunch.bat"

•   This looks like the protocol handler script that has been up for at least a couple of years; unfortunately I was never able to get it to work... has anyone else had success with it?

• You are Right, been going on for along time..

SOLARWINDS SUPPORT,

Please publish a document or integrate SSH, TELNET, RDP, etc into ORION NPM as well as the other tools you offer. We should not have to be so confused about this... From the NPM screens, we should be able to use these modes in order to gain access to the devices from your tool.

This is not a feature request anymore, we as paying customers need/want this functionality, please use some cycles to insure this is done in a expeditious manner. A definitive document is needed right away.

• I think I did find part of this online, but putty doesn't need the ssh:// portion of the argument, just the hostname/IP. That is why I used the batch file to use sed.exe to remove that portion and then pass it to PuTTY.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to ttl

I was able to avoid using sed.exe by calling the extract function on the variable.

Here is my batch file:

@echo off

set var=%1

set extract=%var:~6,-1%

"C:\Program Files (x86)\teraterm\ttermpro.exe" -ssh %extract%

Here is my .reg hack:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh]

@="URL:ssh Protocol"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ssh\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\ssh_util.bat\" %1"

I can verify that this does work with Windows 7 and will allow you to click the little "SSH" button on a node view.

I've uploaded the files to content exchange if you want to just download them.

ssh.reg

ssh_util.bat

• Matt and Jeffness, how would I alter Matt's batch file to use Putty?  is it as straightforward as:

"C:\path\Putty.exe" -ssh %extract%

or does the %1 have to be in there somewhere?  I know each ssh client can have its own requirements, and I am not a programmer.

THANKS!

Debbi

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Debbi

@echo off

set var=%1

set extract=%var:~6,-1%

"C:\Putty.exe" -ssh %extract%

Fill in appropriate path to putty.exe

• We too feel your pain.  I can only tell you what we have done, which is to buy SecureCRT.  It has the ability to register itself on the system  to handle ssh://  protocol handlers.  It's been working very well for us.

Of course, we'd really like to see a build in web tool that pops up and allows us to perform the requested action or a way to register the appropriate locally installed tool like you are trying to do.