14 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 12:32 PM by coolgray

Update on Lansweeper 5

optwpierce

We just started using Web Help Desk and are looking to get Lansweeper 5 connected.  Does the new update (11.2.1) fix the Lansweeper 5 issue?  If not, is there any ETA?  I have a work around now but would like to change this to a built in system which is why we purchased Lansweeper and Web Help Desk to begin with.

Thank you

Bill

• Re: Update on Lansweeper 5
          jrea

I second Bill's question. 

What is the ETA on this fix?  The "we can't tell you" reply from SW is getting old.

optwpierce

I will repost "dengle's" post here along with my SQL view.

I just started my demo of WHD and was a little disappointed by this. My
            solution was to create a new view in the Lansweeper DB and then switched the
            asset sync from "Lansweeper" to "Microsoft SQL server". It's not 100% since it
            doesn't pull in peripherals or software, and the location is based on
            Lansweeper's IP location groups rather than the computer's location
            attribute.

I then disabled the Lansweeper asset link in WHD and added a custom
            link:
            http://lansweeper/asset.aspx?AssetID=<asset_number>

After all that, I deleted all my assets in WHD and resynced them with
            Lansweeper and it works fine for me

coolgray

Could I get some help with connecting to SQL Server? I can't get i to work and I'm no SQL Server expert...

Web Help Desk runs on the same server as Lansweeper so I have left the host as "localhost". I get a "Connection refused"... I have tried to disable the firewall and I have enabled TCP/IP in "SQL Server Configuration Manager".

Skærmbillede 2013-04-15 kl. 20.54.49.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jjhallan

Rene, did you ever resolve your connection problem?  If not please reply there are a couple of things that come to mind.

coolgray

Yes. I had to make SQL Server listen on the port and once I did that then I could import assets by using custom reports / database views. I have also tested the Lansweeper 5 integration in WHD 12 RC and it kind of works but not completely, so I'm sticking with database views since I managed to create some reports that show exactly the right assets that I wish to import.

hotsync

Well, we are going on 2 months after the official release of Lansweeper 5, and at least 4-5 months since their beta.  I sure hope someone on the webhelpdesk team finds the time to make this a priority.  I appreciate the work arounds the community has come up with, I guess I'm just disappointed in that this has been requested since the first day Lansweeper 5 was made available and all we are getting is unresolved/unanswered tickets or "We know sorry".

jjhallan

Well the development / support team appears to be uninterested in this problem, but according to the email I received from "Corry.Reiling@solarwinds.com" the sales team is putting in overtime.  They somehow figured that WHD even with a known bug that significantly reduces the functionality is worth a 40% price increase (1-5 seats) as of 04/01/2013.

hotsync

yeah I think unless we see this turned around right away we'll be moving onto a different helpdesk application.  This one started out good, but the solarwinds acquisition seems to have just killed this product.

jjhallan

Received an email announcing v12 RC.  I installed on a test server and the lansweeper issue appears to be resolved.  There are additional features that look interesting, integration directly with other solarwinds modules looks good.  The lansweeper connection was relatively flawless, and most of the new fields in v5 come over  without any modifications.  I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has installed and what your opinion/reaction is.

Solarwinds - low marks for the communication with the community about what was going on, higher marks for the actual (eventual) resolution.

jrea

WHD least syncs now with LS5, but it still has a few bugs that I have found or haven't been fixed yet.

1.  The lansweeper link in the assets is still broken.  They haven't updated this to the new URL yet.

whd link.JPG

2.  The Installed Software sync doesn't work.  It looks like is does, but it doesn't actually pull any data (compared to what version 4 did)

installed software.JPG

3.  Not really a bug, but they dropped "Computer Service Tag" from a choice in Asset number.  They was confirmed by SW "The "Computer Service Tag" attribute mapping has been moved in Web Help Desk version 12.0RC to the "Asset Type and Model" fields on the Attribute Mappings tab of your Discovery Connection."