5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 11:18 AM by jbaits

Updates not applying automatically to computer groups

pmaldonato

I have a quick question, I have approved a Java 6 update to a pilot computer group that I created. The update doesn't want to apply automatically. What I mean is once the update has been approved for that certain group whenever I move a client computer to that group it should get the update once it sync's back correct? I'm just trying to find out if I'm doing anything wrong. Is it different with third party updates as opposed to Microsoft updates? If I select a computer from the group and push the update through update management it works, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having it setup to install automatically once approved.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Updates not applying automatically to computer groups
          Andrew M

It will take awhile for the client to first detect that the update is available and applicable, and then report the status of the update to WSUS/patch manager (up to 22 hours by default). You can speed this up by running a DetectNow task, wait about 10 minutes and then run a ReportNow task. What does PatchManager report as the status for the update on that client? Is it "Needed"? If not, it will not get installed, and you need to check your prerequisite/applicability/installed rules

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            jbaits

Andrew is correct about this. I'd like to add that what he is talking about is just an update check though. Once the machine checks in and detects and then reports at some point later it will show as "Needed" within your patch manager console. The update however will install based on the schedule you have configured on the client. If you only have updates installing once a week on Friday's that Java package will also not be installed until that time on Friday.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              pmaldonato

Thanks for the suggestions/advice. It did try to push out the patch automatically this time. This software seems to take a bit to get just right, but once you get all the clients set up properly it really seems to work nicely. We have it pretty much set for Microsoft updates, but now were starting with more third party updates and custom package installs and it's a bit more involved. Thanks again for your ideas and the quick responses.

dkeyser

This update can be focibly installed using the update management wizard action. This will tell all machines to download and install any needed updates. This is of course if the machine has reported in and decided that it does need this particular update.

To target a specific group you can select them from the left tree view, select the update in the bottom of the data grid under the update details tab, and then choose update management.

If you wanted to use just the update management action you could select the Group/OU and click update management. Your java update should be at the bottom of the list after clicking select update. Following the wizard you should see the target you selected before running this action.