This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

adding a managed computer

So I have an eval copy of patch manager.  I've created a second SUS server and installed Patch Manager on it.  I'm not wanting to mess with any live systems so that why i created the second SUS server.  A client PC has also been made.  In magaged computers i am only seeing the server that I created.  How do I add my client PC?

• You will need to change the local policy for that computer to point to this WSUS server for it's updates. Then once it's changed you should see it under unassigned computers. The managed computers contains all your computers that have the WMI provider installed on them.

• Strictly speaking... it is not the installation of the WMI Provider that triggers the appearance in the Managed Computers node, but rather the act of targeting a Managed Computer Inventory task to those computers. It's a matter of coincidence that the Inventory task is what typically triggers the installation of the WMI Providers (if not already done as a result of an update deployment).

• Ah thank you for the clarification! My notebook continues to grow.

• got third party updates going but need to turn off the automatic updates.  For example when you install java you usually ahve to go in and tell java not to look for updates.  same with adobe products.  How do make the installer turn that off?  In the past i have used SMS for these and use the adobe customization wizard to create a msi that turns that off.  i've tried replace the package in solarwinds with the new msi but no luck. With java we usually just added /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 SYSTRAY=0 EULA=0" to the executable.  in java i have tried just adding that string to the command line field in edit package.

• As of JRE 6u10, the  JAVAUPDATE=0; JU=0; AUTOUPDATECHECK=0; IEXPLORER=1; MOZILLA=1; and ADDLOCAL=ALL switches are deprecated, though they seem to have continued to work until sometime around update 18. At around that time, Sun/Oracle began installing the auto updater as a separate package. The recommended method to disable auto updating is now to uninstall this package, ProductID {4A03706F-666A-4037-7777-5F2748764D10}, after installing the JRE.

You can do this in the packageboot helper by specifying a program to uninstall and then provide the ProductID above

For more info, see

http://wpkg.org/Java