19 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2018 9:49 PM by taylor.greg

IPAM Subnet Search

wrichter

Is there a way to search on subnet details?  I only see options to search for IP addresses and their associated fields.

We have a large network with many remote locations.  It would be extremely useful to be able to search for that location name, already in the subnet description, and get those subnets in the results.

Thanks,

Wayne

• Re: IPAM Subnet Search
          Network_Guru

I totally agree this is a required feature.

Navigating through thousands of subnets would be much easier if we could just search by the subnet name, rather than specific IP's in a subnet.

smartd

Subnet AND Supernet searching ABSOLUTELY.  We add descriptions to both.  I would like a QUICK way to search subnets/supernets by IP address (within subnet) or description.

alind

Its very strange that you are not able to search for subnets directly.

I think it's very broken not to have that functionality, getting pages on pages of single IP addresses is just frustrating.

Could it be that hard to implement? Just another search field option in the search function.

big love to SW if they fix this asap

glummoon

I was poking around the database today trying to locate where it saves supernet information, and I was not able to find it.  I have been trying to come up with a way to make IPAM more useful for our network department, and I was messing around with using supernets to reserve network blocks.  My thought was that I could have a section that contained subnets for the server teams to add their reservations, and then the network team would have a section with the less specific supernets that we are more concerned with tracking.

Being able to report on supernet utilization would an amazing feature for us.

smartd

What I started doing is to create a supernet with a description when I want to reserve IP space for a purpose.  I create a subnet when addresses are actually allocated and the subnet is "live".  Typically that's when our core routers learn the route, but some subnets are NATed or hidden.

glummoon

I wish this would work for us, but I have multiple other groups that use the system that wouldn't like seeing everything in what would be a logical layout for the network team.

The problem we have lies with the divergent needs of the people using the tool.  Server teams would like everything organized by ServerGroup>site>subnet, which does nothing for the network team who are concerned with what supernets we have allocated.  At this point we are maintaining IPAM for the server teams, and a spreadsheet to track network assignments.

So much for ditching the spreadsheet.

Here is an example of what I was trying to achieve, where IP Allocation would be actual networks as they exist at a location, and Network Allocation would be the big picture of how our networks are being utilized.  In this example Site1 has 10.16.232.0/23, 10.17.232.0/23, 10.18.232.0/23, and 10.47.40.0/23.  In the IP Allocations we actually show what networks are in use, so that the server admins can add reservations.  If they need a new network we compare the two lists and add the new network to the IP Allocation group.

IPAM Thwack.png

highfi

I would agree that subnet searching is essential also. I have submitted a feature request through support. Hopefully more people will submit feature requests, so that this needed feature is provided in a later release.

BrianM

If you have access to the report writer, or the database manager, you can get this information.

Create a direct SQL report in Report Writer. The "Description" is actually called "Comments" in the NPM Database.  The database table name is called IPAM_Group.  It would be best if you have access to the Database Manager so you can see all of the column names.

The most basic query to search for something in the Descption (again called Comments in the DB) is:

SELECT * FROM IPAM_Group WHERE Comments LIKE '%Jersey%'

It will return all rows where "Jersey" is somewhere in the description.

Example: A description with the text "New Jersey" would be returned.

EDIT: Using SELECT * will return a lot of info, some you may not need. For Just the subnet address info type:

SELECT Address, CIDR, Comments FROM IPAM_Group WHERE Comments LIKE '%Jersey%'

Network_Guru

Brian, you have just highlighted how easy this feature would be for Solarwinds to implement.

I have 40 users in my team but only 2 of us have RDP access to the Report Writer app on the server.

Unless this query can be customized and run from the web, it is of no use to the other 38 team members.

We also down want to create a new report everytime someone needs to search for something.

I'm sure this could be done with some aspx.NET coding as an additional resource file if anyone has the skillz (certainly not me).

BrianM

Yeah, you are right that it wouldn't be really hard to add that to Orion.  I've had to do a lot of workarounds similar to this so I'm getting familiar with their database tables.

It's not perfect, but you could create the report to show all areas that are listed in the description, and give everyone access to that report.  They would have to CTRL+F their way around the page.

SELECT Address, CIDR, Comments

FROM IPAM_Group

WHERE Comments <> ''  --those are two single quotes with nothing in between.

AND Comments IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY Comments ASC

that would at least bring up everything, sorted by what is in the comments.  But wouldn't work well assuming you had more text in comments than just locations.

Your DB team could set up a SSRS site linking to this report (or any custom report), where users would be prompted for the fields they are searching for.  It's a bit of a process, but who knows when this might be implemented in the tool.

nfrancis

I agree with you, Network_Guru.  It's gotten so bad that I'm thinking about moving away from Solarwinds IPAM solution.

highfi

I wonder if this feature will be available in IPAM 4.0. Has anyone loaded the beta?

nfrancis

It is unfortunate that this feature is not yet available.  From what I can see, the original request was posted in 2009.  4 years later, the subnet description field is still not searchable.

Network_Guru

I had one on my Perl scripting Guru's create a custom SQL query in report writer.

However you have to run the report and then search within the report for the subnet info, so it is not searchable via an input box on the web page.

SELECT G2.GroupType AS ParentGT, G2.GroupId AS ParentGrID, G2.Address AS ParentAdd, G2.CIDR AS ParentCIDR, G2.FriendlyName as ParentFrName, G2.Comments as ParentComments, G1.GroupType, G1.ParentId, G1.GroupId, G1.Address, G1.CIDR, G1.FriendlyName, G1.Comments, G1.VLAN, G1.UsedCount, G1.AvailableCount, G1.ReservedCount, G1.TransientCount, G1.TotalCount FROM [dbo].[IPAM_Group] as G1 INNER JOIN [dbo].[IPAM_Group] as G2 on G1.ParentId = G2.GroupId WHERE G1.Address LIKE '192.168.%.%' AND G1.GroupType=8 ORDER BY G2.GroupID, G1.Address

Not sure if this helps (it is filtered by IP address).

iceman47777

Any update on this? I cannot believe something this simple cannot be done by the development team. is there somewhere were I can vote for this?

taylor.greg

Althought not native I got this to work for IPAMs shortcomings. I customized my page and added this search to my page and it works like a charm! I found this SQWL query here Using custom SWQL to search for subnets.

I hope this helps someone.