This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Packageboot to Run a Batch File

FormerMember
FormerMember

Good Morning,

I am using Patch Manager to upgrade Firefox versions. I have always done my best to NOT leave behind Desktop shortcuts in the All Users and Public Desktops. I have attempted to use an INI file but cannot get it to run the installs. I am condsidering just using a Batch File to remove the icons after the install completes. Is this possible? Can Packageboot use cmd.exe and run the file? Has anyone done so successfully? Thanks.

• I also use patch manager to update Firefox and use config.ini to prevent the creation of shortcuts and the install of the maintenance service. The problem I ran into with using the ini file was that relative paths absolutely would not work. I couldn't even use environment variables. My environment is consistent enough that I could use the direct path to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install. If that is not the case for you, you have a couple options. You can run a batch file you include in the package by calling cmd.exe /c %modulepath%\YourScript.bat. You could also just add the commands directly to package boot instead of having to include a batch file. You will likely need to add more actions to package boot but the advantage is being able to review the exact actions your package is taking within your patch manager console and not having to include any additional files.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jbaits

jbaits,

Thanks for the tip. Preliminary testing is successful. I was unaware. I am still learning how the installs are managed etc. I really appriciate it.

As you too have FireFox in your environment, do you have any installs in other languages? I need to target both Spanish and Portuguese installs. Thanks again.

• I have not had to deploy any languages other than US English. Since Mozilla offers different packages for each language, I think you could duplicate the package you're using, replace the executable, and change the language selection.