4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 3:02 PM by wgibsoniii

vCenter Logging

wgibsoniii

How can I get vCenter logs into LEM?

I am running vCenter version 5.0 on a Windows host.

If you are running vCenter Server Appliance 5.0 this might help you( virtuallyGhetto: Forwarding vCenter Server Logs to a Syslog Server )

This article explains how to configure esx hosts to syslog events into LEM ( SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Integrating VMware ESXi with SolarWinds LEM )

• Re: vCenter Logging
          nicole pauls

We do have support for the ESX/ESXi host logging directly (as per LEM KB above), but I think vCenter logs some additional events that we don't yet have coverage for. I believe there's a request in with our tech support team to cover the additional vCenter logs, but if you haven't already submitted it, you may want to do so so that we can tell you when the connector becomes available.

wgibsoniii

Thanks for the note Nicole.  I spoke with someone in support today, we opened an NCR, and we did a little more digging.  The type of events that I think would be helpful are administrative, such a user logon/off and actions taken against VMs, such as reconfiguration, migration, power on/off creation/deletion.  These tasks are displayed in the vSphere client during regular operations, and listed as "events".  We found that the data is likely stored in the SQL database that vCenter uses.  I look forward to seeing what the SWI-LEM team can develop.

wgibsoniii

FYI, I've also listed this in the feature request space http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/2389