7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 12:31 PM by Network_Guru

run ping cmd from user links

sonic boom

so i was wondering if anyone knew how or has done this.

I would like to add a link to launch a simple constant ping for a node.  I tried adding the "Users Link" component to the Node Details page, from there i labeled it Ping Site and tried running a test of \Windows\system32\calc.exe  of course that did not work since solarwinds is trying to run this in a browser.  Ultimately i would like to add a .bat file of ping xx.xx.xx.x -t thats all.  my company did not purchase the engineers toolkit so this would be a nice workaround.

• Re: run ping cmd from user links
          mharvey

If you have the engineer's toolset on our system, you can enabled browser integration on your account in Manage accounts, this will bring up tools on he Node details page that include a ping, which will ping the node in question.  Otherwise, you'd have to customize the html of one of the resources to try to add a ping option similar to the telnet and web browse options in the Node Details resource on the page.

regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

Network_Guru

Do you want to run Ping from your PC or from the Orion server.

I've been looking for a way to run ping from the Orion server through the Orion browser interface.

Sadly that requires running an executable on the server through your browser, which is a security risk and is locked down in IIS.

Years ago I created an AANT script that does a pathping from the server to any node when packet loss or high latency is detected.

This runs a batch file on the server that writes the output to a text file which is displayed using your browser.

This script is shared here in the Content Exchange section, but only works with the older Orion versions using ASP code.

I'm currently working on porting this to the .NET - ASPX code.

sonic boom

thanks mharvey, but we do not have the engineers toolset and getting this to work would save us a ton of money.

Network_Guru i am trying to run ping from my PC or any PC with access to Solarwinds, Funny, you have explained pretty much everything i encountered before posting this here for help..  I created the simple .bat file with ping 4.2.2.2 -t and placed it in the Orion directory on the server, I then added User Links from the Miscellaneous category to the node details page, upon executing the link i received an error stating that there was no handler for that file.  fair enough, i made a handler and assigned it to .bat files.  this got me a little closer and i was able to execute the file, however the next error stated that scripts are disabled on the server... 

So basically I am stuck there.  I am wondering if Users Links was the wrong way to go and need to look at embedding html..

thanks

v_andrewj

It does seem that SW could offer a few more server-side, real-time functions. A lot of times mgmt/monitoring functions are locked down to specific allowed hosts. Having some lite features that could run server side would be beneficial.

sonic boom

v_andrewj hit it on the nose, I mean seriously, ping? I know SW is a for profit business but i feel ping which can be chosen as an option to alert if there is no smnp, should be tweakable to open a cmd window without having to dig deeper into your wallet.

v_andrewj

I'm not recommending a cmd line window though. I'm all for a limited set of basic polling being made available as real-time monitors through the UI.

The cmds would run server-side with inputs controlled by NPM code and the results piped back to the UI. I hate to name competing products on a vendor's forum. But there is a specific toolset available as open source or pay versions that allow you to ping and tracert to a host from the UI. SW could offer a similar functionality and expand it to a few SNMP good like ifIn/Out, ppsIn/Out, etc. You would only be able to perform that real-time poller on one device or interface at a time.

When something is heating up in the NOC, we have the need to see an interface in real time. 1min intervals on the charts is still too long...

Network_Guru

Totally agree with you Andrew.

Use Orion NPM for run server side commands like ping, pathping, tracert & nbtstat.
                            Use Orion NCM to run commands like "show interface X | inc Y" or "show proc cpu sort" or "show ip ospf int brief"

As an admin, we would add templates for this commands to the node details page, and users could execute them in real time from the web interface.

Output from any one of these commands would be saved to a text file which could be viewed in Orion, similar to my AANT custom resource