15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 8:03 AM by deverts

NPM 10.4.1 missing custom properties after upgrade

deverts

All,

Has anyone experienced this issue?  I have a ticket open on it, and there is senior admin looking into it, but I thought I'd reach out here as well.

I upgraded my environment from 10.3 to 10.4.1 and everything looked ok when I scanned around.  So, then I upgraded NCM from 7.0 to 7.1.1, which is installed on a different server, but I ran the integration upgrade first on NPM first.  After doing this, certain things started failing, and without going through all the troubleshooting details, I realized that all the Custom Properties were missing on the Web UI pages.  The info is still in the database, but there is a SOAP error when pulling the data.  I suspect this has something to do with the new Custom Properties editor functionality (since none of the fields are listed there).  Even the typical custom properties are missing (City, Department, Comments, etc.); which is why none of the "Groups" are now available.

Any ideas how to solve this?  I've re-installed ("repaired) almost all the components, and ran the config wizard a number of times, with no joy.

Dwyane

• Re: NPM 10.4.1 missing custom properties after upgrade
          bsciencefiction.tv

I had the same issue happen in the upgrade to 10.2. We found no fix but to put them back in via a sql update command

JakeE

I upgraded from NPM10.2.2 to 10.4.1 and NCM 7.0.2 to 7.1.1 last week and am suffering the same problem with my custom properties.  The values still seem be there, but are not displayed.

deverts

All,

I wanted to come back around on this and let you know what was done with the aid of a VERY helpful Support admin (I believe she is more of a senior support admin, and if she reads this, I don't mean to offend with not knowing your real job title.).  The below process took about 2.5 hours to complete as we verified data in several places in between each step.

So, apparently this has something to do with the new Custom Property Editor and the new NCM 7.1.1 (Dev team is working on it).  The good news is, no data is lost in the NPM DB, it's just not viewable until you work some manual magic.  What we did will likely be painful for someone with a lot of custom properties, luckily, I was only using 3 (City, Department, and Comments).

Steps to correct (I HIGHLY recommend a good backup or .csv exported copy BEFORE trying this!!!):

1. Using the new Custom Property Editor (Web UI), create a new custom property for each property that is missing, naming them whatever makes sense to you.  I created "Town" for City, "Remarks" for Comments, and "Depart" for Department.  (BUG:  do not use a partial of the original name!!  I can't delete "Depart" right now.)
              2. Using the Orion Database Manager (NPM Nodes table), copy the data from the original columns (City, Department, and Comments) to their new columns (Town, Depart, Remarks).
              3. Using the Orion Database Manager, drop (delete) the original columns from the DB.
              4. Using the new Custom Property Editor, recreate the original columns (City, Department, and Comments).
              5. Using the Orion Database Manager, copy the data back to the correct columns.
              6. Using the new Custom Property Editor, delete the temporary columns (Town, Depart, Remarks).  As I mentioned above, do not use partial names for temporary custom properties, you will not be able to delete it.
              7. (May not be necessary, but doesn't hurt)  From the Web UI Admin settings, go into the NCM settings and synchronize the NCM DB with the NPM DB.

This will likely be a very painful process for someone with lots of custom properties, but at least the data is still in the DB, so it could be worse.

D