This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Possible to 'daisychain' scheduled tasks?

Hi

Is it possible to daisy chain a number of scheduled tasks? Basically I have a requirement where I am going to have to patch a number of devices used by our Offshore personnel but am not allowed to patch them all in one hit, but rather in groups of 10ish spread over various ESX hosts. Rather than set up a number of tasks and sit there running them one after the other, making sure that the previous task has finished before setting off the next one, I was wondering if there was a way of automating it so that I can kick off the first job, and it will automatically start the next in the chain when the distribution has completed.

• It is not currently possible to daisy-chain or sequence tasks with Patch Manager, but I'm pretty certain that it's on the Feature Request list for some future release.

However, it may be possible to achieve what you need to do by using the Automation Role's ability to throttle worker processes and threads per process. By throttling the threads per process, you can effectively limit the number of clients that can be patched simultaneously. By default, a worker process runs with a thread pool of 16, which can allow 12-15 clients to patch simultaneously. If you were to reduce that to 8 threads, you could effectively limit the number of machines simultaneously patching to around a half-dozen per worker process.

For that matter, recognizing that Patch Manager actually only patches about a dozen at a time in the default configuration (per AutoServer/per WP), you may find that the default configuration is already sufficient to meet the business requirements that are limiting the number of machines you can simultaneously patch. Of course, if you have multiple AutoServers, as might be the case with geographically distributed environments, they can patch in parallel, so maybe not.

The total number of client connections is also related to the number of worker processes that is available on the Automation Server. By default, there are two worker processes available, and multiple tasks can span across the thread pools of those worker processes. With 16 threads and 2 processes, that puts us up around two dozen simultaneous (maybe a bit more, depending on threads used for task overhead) client connections. So, ultimately you have two configuration values you can use to manage the number of simultaneous client sessions -- threads, and worker processes. An AutoServer with MAX=1 worker process and 8 threads won't ever talk to more than 8 clients at a time.

For more information on these settings, see Appendix B of the Patch Manager Administrator Guide.

• Thanks Andrew. I fixed it.

• This "BatchPatch" product appears to have that daisy-chain feature you're looking for : Advanced Multi-Row Queue Sequence | BatchPatch - The Ultimate Windows Update Tool .