I'm checking with QA on this behavior.
Most updates of Patch Manager required me to reset the saved view layout after the update. Usually it only takes me a couple of hours to change all the saved view layouts that I had. I just thought it was part of managing the Patch Manager server.
Turns out this is a 'bug' that was introduced inadvertently in v1.8 as a result of our rebranding from "EminentWare" to "SolarWinds".
We’ve reproduced the bug during the upgrade 1.73 to 1.85. It was introduced during the re-branding and it occurs in following upgrade scenarios:
- 1.7x -> 1.85
- 1.7x -> 1.80 -> 1.85
Here is a workaround to fix the issue (the views ARE still there.. just in the wrong file now):
1. Close Patch manager MMC console
2. Go to the folder based on your OS:
- WinXP/Win2003 -- C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Microsoft\MMC\
- WinVista/2008 and newer: C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\
3. Create a backup of the files
4. Remove file “SolarWinds” if present.
5. Rename file “EminentWare” to “SolarWinds” (this will recover your originally created views under v1.7x)
Mark: Can you clarify -- did you upgrade from v1.7x to v1.85, or from v1.80 to v1.85?
My upgrade was 1.7x -> 1.80 -> 1.85.
The work around did not work for me. I found both files. Noticed my EminentWare file was 60KB whereas that SolarWinds file was 57KB. I renamed SolarWinds to SolarWinds.backup, and renamed EminentWare to Solarwinds. When I fired up the console nothing changed, all my views were still the default. I noticed after I closed the console the newly renamed SolarWinds file had changed from 60KB to 57KB. Unfortunately I spaced 'Step 3' and didn't backup my original EminentWare file like I should have. Bummer.