4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 11:49 AM by strict

Custom Views reset after 1.85 Update

strict

I just updated to 1.85 and found all my custom views were reset!  This really sucks as i had put in a significant amount of time customizing those views.  Including following the recent article Three Must-Have Patch Manager Custom Update Views which now have to be redone!  Please bump this feature request!

Please vote to fix this!

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/1235

Thanks!  -mark

• Re: Custom Views reset after 1.85 Update
          Lawrence Garvin

I'm checking with QA on this behavior.

antwesor

Most updates of Patch Manager required me to reset the saved view layout after the update. Usually it only takes me a couple of hours to change all the saved view layouts that I had. I just thought it was part of managing the Patch Manager server.

Lawrence Garvin

Turns out this is a 'bug' that was introduced inadvertently in v1.8 as a result of our rebranding from "EminentWare" to "SolarWinds".

We’ve reproduced the bug during the upgrade 1.73 to 1.85. It was introduced during the re-branding and it occurs in following upgrade scenarios:

1. 1.7x -> 1.85
                2. 1.7x -> 1.80 -> 1.85

Here is a workaround to fix the issue (the views ARE still there.. just in the wrong file now):

1.       Close Patch manager MMC console

2.       Go to the folder based on your OS:

• WinXP/Win2003 -- C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Microsoft\MMC\
                • WinVista/2008 and newer: C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\

3.       Create a backup of the files

4.       Remove file “SolarWinds” if present.

5.       Rename file “EminentWare” to “SolarWinds” (this will recover your originally created views under v1.7x)

Mark: Can you clarify -- did you upgrade from v1.7x to v1.85, or from v1.80 to v1.85?

strict

My upgrade was 1.7x -> 1.80 -> 1.85. 

The work around did not work for me.  I found both files.  Noticed my EminentWare file was 60KB whereas that SolarWinds file was 57KB.  I renamed SolarWinds to SolarWinds.backup, and renamed EminentWare to Solarwinds.  When I fired up the console nothing changed, all my views were still the default.  I noticed after I closed the console the newly renamed SolarWinds file had changed from 60KB to 57KB.  Unfortunately I spaced 'Step 3' and didn't backup my original EminentWare file like I should have.  Bummer.

LGarvin antwesor ZdenekParizek