i have the same issue. any body can help? many thanx.
Did you manage to sort this out????
I have had the same issue and I have managed to resolve it.
from your main Solarwinds server telnet to the server showing the issue on port 17777 - with the hostname, it probably wont connect, now try it with the FQDN name of the poller showing the licensing issue - it should connect.
I updated the host file on the main poller with the IP of the problem poller and its hostname - HEY PRESTO! ther licensing is now working.
Seems to be that solarwinds does not use the FQDN and if your machines are in different domains and there is no DNS to resolve hostname rather than FQDN then you seem to get this issue
Hope this helps
Hi, I've just had exactly the same problem & Simon's fix pointed me directly to the problem.
I have a primary engine plus an Additional Polling Engine and just added an Additional Web Server. Everything was OK except that the AWS reported that it could not connect to the APE, but only on the AWS's Polling Engines screen, all other queries from the AWS said that the APE was running fine.
My primary engine and the new AWS are on a different domain to the APE, but the APE only resolves & pings to the full name. I added a short name entry into the HOSTS file of my new AWS pointing at the APE and all is well again.
SAM 6.0.2, NPM 10.7, & others
Glad it worked for you Robert