10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 2:22 AM by callidus Branched to a new discussion.

New Patch Manager catalog

Andrew M

I don't know how long it's been there, but I recently noticed a new "SolarWinds Update Catalog" in the catalog list. The products seem to mostly match those from the "EminentWare Update Catalog", but there are a few new ones, such as Google Earth and Dameware Remote Support. It also seems that the Java 7u11 package is only available in the new one, and not the old one.

Does the SolarWinds catalog replace the EminentWare one? Should I start synchronizing from the new one instead of the old one?

• Re: New Patch Manager catalog
          Lawrence Garvin

The "EminentWare Update Catalog" was renamed to the "SolarWinds Update Catalog" on October 23, 2012. The conversion should have been automatic in your Patch Manager installation; that is to say, you've actually been synchronizing to the "SolarWinds Update Catalog" since that date. The catalog and catalog source are still the same, only the name of the catalog changed. This, however, triggers some additional tree nodes in the synchronization settings dialog.

Google Earth was added 1/4/2013 and Dameware Remote Support was added 12/28/2012, which was after the name change, which is why you don't see them in the legacy entries for the "EminentWare Update Catalog".

callidus

How can the Renaming be triggered?

In the Update Options I only see the EminentWare catalogue:

23-01-2013 14-19-53-Update-Options.png

The new Pakages (Foxit/Dameware/Google Earth) get synced.

strict

What version of PM are you running?

Lawrence Garvin

Re--run the Patch Manager Update Configuration Wizard. That will re-capture the catalog titles. Then in the subscription screen, select the entries from the "SolarWinds" catalog node (they may already be selected based on your current "EminentWare" selections)

PMUCW-Page3.pngPMUCW-Page4.png

callidus

The Patch Manager Update Configuration Wizard did not really help

The following vendor product information was discovered including...
                        EminentWare Update Catalog

Hewlett-Packard Client Updates Catalog

Hewlett-Packard Server Updates Catalog

Dell Server Updates Catalog

Dell Business Client Update Catalog

Adobe Systems Reader 10 Catalog

Adobe Systems Acrobat 10 Catalog

24-01-2013 08-34-16.png

Lawrence Garvin

Does your Patch Manager server have Internet access, or has it been configured to not check for updates/announcements?

(Did you get the in-product "reminder" announcement for the release of v1.85 that went out on Tuesday?)

Check in %ProgramFiles%\SolarWinds\Patch Manager\Server\templates\feeds for a file named ewfeed.xml (and ewfeed.cab).

(If you've upgraded from a pre-v1.8 installation, the file will be in %ProgramFiles%\EminentWare\Server\templates\feeds)

What are the time stamps on those files?

Inside the ewfeed.xml file you should have an entry that looks like this:

<feeditem hidden="True" category="Catalog" url="foo://bar/UpdateCatalog.cab" description="SolarWinds Patch Manager Update Third Party Catalog has packages for Adobe, Java, Mozilla, QuickTime and more" displayname="SolarWinds Update Catalog" name="239078AD-8D48-4e4a-8166-6717F70DE47D" Signer="EminentWare LLC" Publisher="EminentWare LLC"/>

And that's what triggers the catalog name update. The legacy entry looks like this:

<feeditem hidden="True" category="Catalog" url="http://www.eminentware.com/cs2008/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.00.05.15/EWUpdateCatalog.cab" description="EminentWare Update Third Party Catalog has packages for Adobe, Java, Mozilla, QuickTime and more" displayname="EminentWare Update Catalog" name="239078AD-8D48-4e4a-8166-6717F70DE47D" Signer="EminentWare LLC" Publisher="EminentWare LLC"/>

If the EWFEED.CAB file is not getting updated on your Patch Manager server, and your server was installed with a version older that v1.8 and subsequently upgraded, it's likely that this is just a display issue being caused by a legacy ewfeed.xml file. (Notice that the 'name' attribute, a GUID, is identical for both elements... it's the same catalog, just a new name.

callidus

The server has Internet access by proxy (as I get the updated packages). I did not get the in-product "reminder" announcement for the release of v1.85 automatically, when I click on "check for updates" the new release is shown to me.

The files are in C:\Program Files\EminentWare\Server\templates\feeds as it is a pre-v1.8 upgraded Install.

• ewfeed.cab: last change 21. September 2012, last access 24. July 2012
                                • ewfeed.xml: last change 5. September 2012, last access 24. July 2012

Inside the ewfeed.xml I only find the legacy entry:

<feeditem name="239078AD-8D48-4e4a-8166-6717F70DE47D" displayname="EminentWare Update Catalog" Publisher="EminentWare LLC" Signer="EminentWare LLC"

description="EminentWare Update Third Party Catalog has packages for Adobe, Java, Mozilla, QuickTime and more"

url="http://www.eminentware.com/cs2008/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.00.05.15/EWUpdateCatalog.cab"

category="Catalog" hidden="True"/>

Lawrence Garvin

I would double check the proxy configuration on the SPM server. You're definitely not getting the updated EWFEED.CAB from solarwinds.com, and that's also the methodology for transmitting the product upgrade reminders. If the proxy configs are correct, I would recommend opening a ticket via the Customer Portal.

callidus

Just closed my case ticket.

Following support:

• The EWFEED.CAB file should only update when the Setup.exe is run of a update to Patch Manager
                                        • That is a non-issue at this time due to it is not supposed to update every time you Synchronize the catalogs
                                        • There are no plans to change the URL for the catalogs at this time, so my wrongly named catalog will work for quite a time
                                        • Changing the URL would also involve a upgrade that would change the file at that time