5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 11:14 AM by Lawrence Garvin

Patch Manager Reporting: Multiple WSUS + Computer Groupings

shaifulbusari

Greetings,

I'm currently using Patch Manager v1.8 and managing multiple downstream WSUS servers.

1. I'm trying to create a report that shows

Name (Update Server)Total ComputersUnassigned ComputersWindows ClientWindows ServersAdobe Reader
      Server 1103515
      Server 220510210

The closest that I can get is:

Name (Update Server)Computer Target CountName (Computer Group)Domain (Update Server)
      Server 13Unassigned ComputersDomain. Name
      Server 15Windows ClientsDomain. Name
      Server 11Windows ServersDomain. Name
      Server 15Adobe ReaderDomain. Name
      Server 25Unassigned ComputersDomain. Name
      Server 210

Windows Clients

Domain. Name
      Server 22Windows ServersDomain. Name
      Server 25Adobe ReaderDomain. Name

The objective is to have a consolidated report as I have over a hundred downstream servers.

The issue with this report is that there will be too many rows if I include 100 downstream servers.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Shaiful Busari

• Re: Patch Manager Reporting: Multiple WSUS + Computer Groupings
          Lawrence Garvin

Greetings Shaiful

That is the extent of what you'll be able to get from the Patch Manager report itself, as Patch Manager has no way to define columns based on data values.

To convert what you have to what you want, I would suggest exporting to Excel and implementing a pivot table to make the Computer Group data be the column headers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              shaifulbusari

Greetings Lawrence,

Thanks for the update.

Was trying my luck hoping there would be a way to do it.

Another issue, how do I go about creating a report to see if the particular computer is 100% updated based on approved updates?

The objective is to do a summary for for all computers that is reporting to a WSUS.

Example:

Name (Server)Computer Name100%
              WSUS01Computer011
              WSUS01Computer020
              WSUS01Computer031

Note: 1 means 100% updated and 0 means not 100% updated, 99% or below

I'll then export this info to excel and create a pie chart.

If this isn't available, what is the next closes thing that I can have?

Cheers,

Shaiful Busari

Lawrence Garvin

This is also something you'll need to manipulate externally in Excel. Patch Manager does not have a boolean field for 100%patched-or-not. There is a system report that lists Percentage of Approved/Installed updates by Computer, and you can use an Excel formula to convert that percentage value (100% or not-100%) to a boolean value.

You could also define your pie chart based on the actual percentage (slice 1 = 100%; slice 2 = 0-99%) and not manipulate the data at all.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      shaifulbusari

Greetings Lawrence,

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

I used the "Computers with approved update percentages" but is this only for Windows or inclusive of third party?

What can I do to create two separate reports for Windows Updates and Third Party?

Given that what I require is not off the shelf from Patch Manager, what reports do you feel is the most useful for which can be run automatically.

I am already running the 3rd party report which I took from one of your template (thanks for that =]) which is very useful, but I feel that there should be more off the shelf!

Cheers,

Shaiful Busari

Lawrence Garvin

All reports in Patch Manager will be inclusive of all updates synchronized/published to the WSUS server.

To create separate reports, use the "Update Source" field. It supports two values: "Microsoft" or "Other". Filter on the desired value.

I think that part of this conversation appears to relate to the process of converting raw data into analytics, or even into presentation results, rather than datasets. Since the reporting engine of Patch Manager doesn't actually create analytics, but merely inventory the raw data in the WSUS server, in many cases the creation of the desired analytics, especially for presentation to management, is going to require the use of external tools, e.g. Excel, Access, or another SQL Server database. Another way that can sometimes help is to think in terms of the question being asked, not necessarily the answer. For example, in your previous report inquiry, you asked about a report that essentially separated those that are 100% patched from those that are not. But what's the real objective here -- perhaps to identify systems that are not 100% patched in order to take additional remediation? So, that report may also be as simple as just filtering out the computers that have "Installed Percentage" = 100%, rather than trying to implement an intermediate boolean conversion in order to separate them. The flip-side of that can also be done. If somebody does want a report of all compliant systems, include only those where the value actually is 100%.

In the end, I think it's difficult for me to say, from a general perspective, which reports are the most useful. I think the value of a report is defined by whether the organization needs the information provided by that report. Our objective in the collection of 100+ reports that ships with the product is to try to offer a representative demonstration of what can be built using the reporting engine and hundreds of fields inventoried from a WSUS server.

As for 'run automatically'.... all Patch Manager reports can be scheduled to run automatically, and can include exporting and emailing via a number of formats direct to the intended recipients.

Also, be sure to look at the Web Console introduced in Patch Manager v1.8 last August. In many cases, the information presented in the web console (which can be customized) might work for some of these reporting objectives.