27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 3:01 PM by tdanner

Queries regarding Orion SDK

mohit goel

Hi,

I am a newbie to Orion SDK . we actually want to implement/deploy SDK in our production environment. I had some queries..maybe some one can help me out..:

- we are running NPM v10.3 and soon gonna be using Orion FoE(Failover engine),I hope SDK's latest version is compatible with it.

- we have a inhouse developed CMDB, can SDK connect to that ?

- also can you please redirect me to some release note or installation guide, to better understand Orion SDK

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

mohit

• Re: Queries regarding Orion SDK
          tdanner

1. The current version of the SDK works with NPM 10.3 and the failover engine.

2. The tools and samples in the SDK connect to the Orion platform using a SolarWinds-proprietary protocol. They won't connect to your in-house CMDB. However, depending on what API your CMDB supports, it is probably possible to write a program that connects to both the Orion platform and your CMDB for coordinating the two systems.

3. The documentation for the Orion SDK is included in the package. I recommend you just install it and look over the docs that way.

mohit goel

Hi..

Thanks for replying.

Can we write in python in Orion SDK ? I am asking this because when I

installed the package then in the samples folder there were 4

clients..java,perl,powershell,VB

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM, tdanner <

tdanner

In general, any language or runtime should be able to connect to the SolarWinds Information Service - you aren't restricted to the languages we provide samples for. You just need to choose a SOAP client toolkit for Python. I haven't tried that myself, but I would start with Suds.

mohit goel

Thanks for quick reply......How should I connect to SWIS from here....

image: Inline image 1

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM, tdanner <

tdanner

In the "server name" field, put the host name for your Orion server. In the "server type field", choose "Orion (v3)". For the username and password fields, log in the same way you would log in to the Orion website.

mohit goel

What's the difference between choosing Orion (v3) or Orion (v2)?

Also if suppose I want to connect to NPM through SDK, so what does this

exactly means? Is it that we will use a script that will make query the NPM

database using SWIS?

Also, if above is true then where can this script run? only on Orion server

or can we also run it on any other UNIX host also? And how to run it on

Orion, can we schedule it or it has to be run manually?

Can you please point me to any script that connects to NPM and pulls out

information?

Sorry some of the above question might seem silly, but I am very new to it.

Thanks in advance

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM, tdanner <

RichardLetts

Install the SDK on a desktop system and read the documentation, including the examples.

The SDK is for the use of a programmer who understands REST/CRUD/SOAP -- the documentation is fairly clear on what it does.

I would advise installing it on a workstation and running any program you write against a  development/test instance.

v2/v3: there are some verbs that only work on v3.

yes it can query the NPM database (examples included in the SDK)

the programs that use the SDK can tun anywhere with a network connection, on any platform, that can reach the Orion server. I run my [perl] programs on a RHEL linux system. If you've a powershell programmer, java programmer then they could get their programs to work on their platform of preference.

mohit goel

Can somebody please help me in writing a small python script to connect to

NPM using SDK (or redirect to some documentation)

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM, RichardLetts <

tdanner

Hopefully this will get you started. Install SUDS - I used this version: https://bitbucket.org/jurko/suds

from suds.client import Client

url = 'https://localhost:17778/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3?wsdl'

swis = Client(url, username='admin', password='')

swis.set_options(port='BasicHttpBinding_InformationService')

x=client.service.QueryXml('SELECT Caption FROM Orion.Nodes')

for row in x.queryResult.data.row:

print(row.c0)

sbrumley

This is awesome, but the QueryXML is not working right for me.  I'm getting a ValueError: need more than 0 values to unpack.  Any ideas what I'm missing?  It appears to be some syntax or something.

The line before the ValueError shows "suds/resolver.py", line 361, in findattr

Thanks!!

tdanner

Are you using the script I sent or a modified version?

sbrumley

I'm using suds with the code from above. 

It works great for a Read, but the QueryXml gives that error. 

I'm still trying to figure out the proper syntax of the dictionary for Update to update custom properties.

sbrumley

#!/usr/local/bin/python

url = "https://localhost:17778/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3?wsdl"

### Grab Info From Solarwinds

client = Client(url, username='user', password='password')

client.set_options(port='BasicHttpBinding_InformationService')

# Print out Key

## READ

nodeId = 1

uri = "swis://localhost/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=" + str(nodeId) + "/CustomProperties"

result = client.service.Read(uri)

print result

This works.  Just having trouble with Update and Custom Properties.  Probably syntax.

Sincerely,

Scott

tdanner

Update is a little more tricky because you need to provide a "dictionary" object with the properties to update, but it has nothing to do with a python dictionary - it's a custom structure defined in the WSDL for the service. In SUDS, you can use the factory to make instances of the dictionary and the "item" structures that it contains. This is the same kind of object that you would need to fill out to use the the SWIS Create method.

Example code:

url = 'https://localhost:17778/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3?wsdl'

swis = Client(url, username='admin', password='')

x=swis.service.QueryXml('SELECT TOP 1 Uri FROM Orion.Nodes')

uri = x.queryResult.data.row[0] + '/CustomProperties'

print(uri)

d=swis.factory.create('ns4:dictionary')

i=swis.factory.create('ns4:item')

i.key="City"

i.type="System.String"

i.value='Austin'

d.item.append(i)

swis.service.Update(uri, d)

sbrumley

This syntax is helpful thanks.  I thought I would start off slow.  But I'm missing something.  I noticed the WSDL says the QueryXML syntax is QueryXml(xs:string query, ns4:dictionary parameters, )

Do I need to pass it an empty dictionary or None?  It didn't like the ways I tried to do that.

### Grab Info From Solarwinds

url = "https://localhost:17778/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3?wsdl"

swis = Client(url, username='user', password='password')

x=swis.service.QueryXml('SELECT TOP 1 Uri FROM Orion.Nodes',None)

uri = x.queryResult.data.row[0] + '/CustomProperties'

print(uri)

#d=swis.factory.create('ns4:dictionary')

#i=swis.factory.create('ns4:item')

#i.key="node_runbook"

#i.type="System.String"

#i.value="Testing"

#d.item.append

This produces:

[mb2178@cpliis4i solar]$ ./npm.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./npm.py", line 15, in <module>

x=swis.service.QueryXml('SELECT TOP 1 Uri FROM Orion.Nodes',None)

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 228, in __call__

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 367, in call

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 410, in call

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 468, in invoke

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 493, in send

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 525, in succeeded

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/binding.py", line 135, in get_reply

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 302, in process

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 87, in process

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 103, in append

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 180, in append_children

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 103, in append

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 180, in append_children

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 102, in append

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 156, in append_attributes

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 389, in append_attribute

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/resolver.py", line 361, in findattr

ValueError: need more than 0 values to unpack

sbrumley

Awesome!!   If I hard code the URI you dictionary model works perfectly.  Can you help me to figure out the QueryXml?

Sincerely,

Scott

tdanner

If you don't need to pass any query parameters, you can just omit that argument to QueryXml. Like this:

x=swis.service.QueryXml("SELECT TOP 1 Uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE Vendor='Cisco'")

If you do want to use query parameters, you can provide them in a dictionary like this:

d=swis.factory.create('ns4:dictionary')

i=swis.factory.create('ns4:item')

i.key="Vendor"

i.type="System.String"

i.value="Cisco"

d.item.append( i )

x=swis.service.QueryXml("SELECT TOP 1 Uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE Vendor=@Vendor", d)

tdanner

In my test, an empty dictionary worked fine (swis.factory.create('ns4:dictionary')) but None did not.

sbrumley

Still getting

[mb2178@cpliis4i solar]$ ./npm.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./npm.py", line 30, in <module>

x=swis.service.QueryXml("SELECT TOP 1 Uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE Vendor='Cisco'",d)

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 367, in call

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 410, in call

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 468, in invoke

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 493, in send

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/client.py", line 525, in succeeded

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/binding.py", line 135, in get_reply

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 302, in process

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 87, in process

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 102, in append

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 156, in append_attributes

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/bindings/unmarshaller.py", line 389, in append_attribute

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/suds/resolver.py", line 361, in findattr

ValueError: need more than 0 values to unpack

mohit goel

Also I have installed Orion SDK v1.5, but in the documentation I could not

any explanation on the perl script example.Where can i see

about the perl documentation.