This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ESXi Host does not appear in Virtualization Summary

I have added my vCenter server and 'supposedly' all of my VMware/ESXi hosts into inventory using Network Sonar Discovery. Everything was found perfectly, and when browsing Settings > Node & Group Management > Manage Nodes.. *sort by Vendor* > VMware.. I am able to see all of my ESXi hosts as well as vCenter.

Then when looking at the Virtualization Summary page, I am only able to see 2 of the 3 ESXi hosts.

I have removed everything and added it all back, starting with vCenter. I've stopped and restarted polling on the host that is being excluded. And I have refreshed every possible process/thing I could find... I am at a loss.

Has anyone else experienced this & if so what did you to to fix it? Also, the host being left out is in the same cluster as the hosts appearing in the Virtualization Summary page. There is no difference between any of my hosts or how they are managed by vCenter.

• From the Virtualization Summary view, when you go to Virtualization Settings, do you see the ESXi hosts there?  Are you able to assign credentials to them?  If not, go into Settings > Manage Nodes, edit each host, make sure the poll for VMWare option is selected, and test the credentials that you are using. 

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

• Thanks for the quick reply. From the Virtualization Settings view, I do not see all of the ESXi hosts, so I followed your second step. I verified that the credentials work. Also, on each host, Poll for VMware is selected.. still I am not having any luck.

Any other suggestions? I really appreciate the help!!

• If the credentials are passing, then you need to see if you can bring up the API on the Orion server.  Orion tries to contact each ESXi host via API call using https://IP/sdk.  Can you bring this up in a browser for the hosts you are not seeing?  If you login to VCenter with the credentials you are using, you said you do see all the hosts correct?

• Yes. When I log into vCenter, using the credentials I specified I can see all of my hosts.

I tried bringing up the https://IPaddress/sdk as you mentioned. I was able to view everything when I removed the 'sdk' at the end. When 'sdk' was attached in the address, nothing happened.

I am running ESXi 5.0.0 --- just in case this helps.

• Odd that it's not getting anything.  As a test, do you have other credentials that you could try such as root, but only as a test.

• ... OK I think I've started to make some progress. What I did (after completely removing all things VMware) I ran the Network Discovery Wizard, and this time I only allowed my vCenter at the DR site to be "discovered"...

When I did this, it found all 10 of my ESXi-DR hosts, so I was able to add them just fine. So you would think the same theory would (could) apply to the production site...

However, I did the exact same to the HQ vCenter and while it lists the ESXi hosts as assets... I can't figure out how to get them to be polled. Maybe it's a matter of just clicking on things until something allows me to add them emoticons_happy.png...

As you can tell, I am very new to Solarwinds...

• ...question.. why would I see the 3 hosts I am desperately trying to poll... as some what greyed out and italicized? As well as some of the VM's but not all...

pastedImage_0.png

• Italicized means that they were found when polling the Virtual Center, but the credentials didn't allow for access directly into those systems, or they are not being managed by Orion.  If you click on one of them you should get an option to manage it. Perhaps it's an issue with the IP reporting in VCenter vs. the IP you are using to manage it in Orion.

• When you say 'click on one' .. where should I be to have clicking as an option? Right now I am not able to click on them in the Virtualization Summary view. And when I go to manage the nodes, they do not appear.

I am seeing them in the storage tab however, and I may be able to make some edits there. Where do you suggest I go?

• Also, I am in the screen where I could potentially edit the IP address for the host, however it will not let me type in the ESX IP Address field! It's always one step in the positive direction and two steps back!