This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Disable Hardware Health Monitoring in Orion 10.4

Does anybody know if it is possible or how to disable hardware health monitoring in 10.4? I recently upgraded and have been experiencing performance issues with my data base. Solarwinds seems to think its because of the new hardware health monitoring on all of our cisco and wireless devices (about 8,000 nodes). I like the new features of 10.4 and would hate to roll back but really need to find a way to reduce some of the load on our database.

• Hardware health should be a selectable option in list resources.  You'd have to do a list resources on the device and remove the hardware option.  SolarWinds may also be able to provide you a way to disable hardware health polling altogether.  Odd though that they would think this feature would be due to this.  Was there something in a log that lead them to this? 

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

• They are blaming our performacne issues on a disk I/O issues caused by transactions pending in SQL. We did not have these issues when we were running 10.3, but we did not have these issues in 10.3 or other earlier versions. They claim to think its because of all the hardware health monitoring on the cisco and wireless devices that we monitor. i see how to turn it off for a single device but because of the large number of cisco devices (over 3000) that's not very feasible right now. Especially when the web console times out every 3 mins or so.

• Hi

I´m having the "same" challenge, needing to remove hardware monotoring from some devices.

The reason is somewhat different, but since one of my ISP´s providing a managed service does not allow for hardware health monitoring, it turns up as unknown, after migrating some networks to their control.

Since they do not allow 8yet) the OID needed to perform hardware health... I also can´t list the resources and disable hardware health monitoring for that node !!

so, 1) i need to figure out how to remove HHM from devices that had this enabled, yet no longer supported ... and 2) i need to figure out which OID´s are needed to permit HHM in the SNMP-server view the ISP is attaching to my SNMP community

Any ideas ?

• Been digging around a bit, and it seems that there is now an APM_HardwareInfo table that will contain the nodes that have Hardware health enabled.  If you don't want it on for anything then run this SQL query:

Update APM_HardwareInfo

Set IsDisabled = 1

That will disable Hardware Health polling for everything.  If there are specific devices, you'd have to manipulate this query.  If for example, you want all Cisco off then

Update APM_HardwareInfo

Set IsDisabled = 1

Where Manufacturer = 'Cisco'

Looks like the only way to do this en masse is through the use SQL queries as described above.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

• Thanks for the help Matthew. It ended up being an issue with a custom report set up by one of our clients. As soon as we disabled that report our performance improved greatly, so it looks like I wont need to go down that road of disabling hardware health monitoring.