4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 9:51 AM by scott24038

MIBs used by Toolset apps

scott24038

I have multiple groups in my environment that are tasked with fufilling certain administration functions. As a result I need to create some SNMP views on my network devices to limit what certain groups can see. Can anyone point me to a document that tells me what MIBs each of the products in the Toolset uses to gather information? I'd really hate to have to mine it from wireshark or a debug.

• Re: MIBs used by Toolset apps
          mharvey

In terms of the Engineer's Toolset, the majority of the MIBs are RFC standards that are found in the mib-2 tree.  Depending on the tool would determine which MIBs are used.  If you are looking to create views, your best best would be for limiting view in Orion NPM via the website. 

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

scott24038

Thank you for the response, but you misinterpreted what I am trying to do. It has nothing to do with Orion. There are many host and applications in the enterprise that require some piece of information off of my network devices. Not every host needs and shouldn't have access to every MIB that is enabled on my network device. On my network device I need to create SNMP views that will be assigned to the host entries on the device that limit what MIBs can be queried from which hosts. For example, if I only want  host 10.10.10.200 to query location information I can create a view that includes OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.589.1.6.2.1 and excludes everything else. Any attempt by that host to query a different MIB would return nothing. What I am looking for is a reference that tells me which specific MIBs each tool in the toolset uses to get its information. Then I can create views based on who's workstation is authorized to be running which apps.

mharvey

Ah ok.  I know SolarWinds isn’t going to have anything close to a document that lists all the MIBs used by each tool.  WireShark is going to be the best route to go to see that.  Network Performance Monitor by far, uses the most, and it tied to the RFC standards with a few exceptions for Cisco and Windows nodes polling specific vendor MIBs for CPU (cisco), Memory (windows), and interface traffic (cisco).

Beyond that, if memory serves, the other SNMP tools use the RFC mibs under mib-2 such as the host tables, interface tables, sysinfo mibs.  I don’t recall them all, but mib-2 has them under it.

Thank you,

Matthew Harvey

Senior Systems Engineer

Loop 1 Systems

cid:image001.png@01CDDF5F.2AC679F0[cid:image002.jpg@01CDDF5F.2AC679F0]

1 of 1 people found this helpful