This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Applicability rules for Google Chrome

I understand the difference between the two installers...one for users winstall it from the web, and the other for enterprises to deploy via GPO or whatever other delivery method they use.

On a system where Crhome was installed via the web, I published both the (Update) versions to WSUS/SCCM, and both the "Google Chrome 23.0.1271.97 Business Enterprise MSI (Upgrade)" and
"Google Chrome 23.0.1271.97 EXE (Upgrade)" show up in the software update notification.  This is also the case on another system when I had installed using the MSI installer.

My assumption was that those that were  installed using the MSI would just get solely "Business Enterprise MSI (Upgrade)" and those who installed via web would get "EXE (Upgrade)"

Can someone explain to me whether or not both need to be published?  or will publishing just 1 version cover both installs?

Thanks for your time!

G

• Um...I was under the impression that Chrome did automatic updates. Idk if its only for the web-downloaded version, but I've never had to update Chrome.

Truth, I've mostly worked with MacOSX, but so far I see same behavior in Windows 7. No updates needed. and whenever I check the version it always says "Chrome is up to date".

Basically what I am saying is, whenever there is an update, by closing and opening your browser again you should have the latest version running. Idk how it will work with MSI thou.

Regards, Raul

• I'm not having issues updating, i am having a hard time understanding why both "Upgrades" exist in Solarwind's Patch Manager.  What is the difference if they both do the same thing regardless of the installed method?

Appreciate your feedback.

But, The problem is that my user base can disable the auto update feature in their browser.

As the admin of these systems, I need to ensure i can update these systems regardless of their personal preferences to mitigate any security issues.

• So, first let's clarify the reason for the two installers. BOTH installers are the Business version, and applying a Chrome update via PatchManager/WSUS to any system will convert that system from a User version to a Business version. You cannot, however, use the EXE package to upgrade a previously existing MSI-based installation.

From the EXE (Upgrade) Package Details: Upgrade only. This package is the STABLE version of Google Chrome. This build addresses few bug fixes. This version requires a previous version exist. This package will replace a user-installed version. If the user has installed Google Chrome on their own, they will receive a notification after this package is installed, noting their user-installed version has been replaced. This version will not upgrade a Business Enterprise MSI install.

From the MSI (Upgrade) Package Details: Upgrade only. This package is the STABLE Business Enterprise version of Google Chrome. This version addresses security bug fixes. This version requires a previous version exist. This package will replace a user-installed version. If the user has installed Google Chrome on their own, they will receive a notification after this package is installed, noting their user-installed version has been replaced.

We typically package both the EXE and MSI versions of products because the vendor makes them available. Also, you'll note looking at the package history, as is also the case with Adobe Flash, the MSI installer is only available for the current release of the product.

Having said that.... while you can publish as many of the packages as you wish.. you should only deploy *one* of those packages, depending on your particular needs. If you deploy more than one package the WUAgent/CMAgent WILL try to install all of them. A similar consideration applies to publishing FULL and/or UPGRADE packages, and that concept is discussed in more detail in SolarWinds KB3944.

Ergo...

If you don't already have MSI-based installations, then you may choose to use the EXE (Upgrade) package. Of particular note -- EXE-based installations cannot be remotely uninstalled.

If you already have MSI-based installations, then you will need to use the MSI (Upgrade) package. You would also need to use the MSI-based packages if you want the ability to remotely uninstall the product.

If Chrome is not already installed, then you'll need to deploy the FULL package.

The USER-installed version is automatically (and silently) updated by Google Chrome itself.

The BUSINESS-installed version must be explicitly updated.

• Great. Thanks for explanation.  emoticons_happy.png