This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Getting Event Viewer Details in an Alert

Hey All,

I am new to both Solarwinds and Monitoring. I have started to kind of understand the way it works but I am having trouble with some alerts I am trying to setup.I have some monitors setup to report any errors in a custom log in Windows Event Viewer. I created some alerts to go along with those and they are working fine but I wanted a way to be able to get the specific details of the Windows Event inputted into the alert so that it actually means something to the developers when they receive them. Right now, it is just bringing over a generic alert with no details. Please help!

Thank You

• Hi Kevin,

Try putting in this variable in the message to write to the log.  ${AlertMessage}.

You can also set messages according the the type of alert.  For example, "Node ${caption} has a status of ${Status} at ${DateTime}.  You can find these variables via insert variable button in Advanced Alert Manager.

Hope this helps you out.

Zak Kahl

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

• Once you will have the Variables in email you should be able to see the details within email as per Zak .

Included few you can copy paste directly editing your Alert using Advanced Alert Manager. Or can create using "Insert Variable"

Node Name : ${NodeName}

Node IP Address: ${IP_Address}

Node Status : ${Status}

Alert Date & Time: ${DateTime}

Alert Acknowledge URL : ${AcknowledgeURL}

alert vr.jpg

• Thank You for the ideas. Unfortunately inserting the variable $(AlertMessage) is still not pulling in the details from the Windows Event Log. Additional suggestions are appreciated. So far below is how I have the alert configured.

Subject: Alert: ${ComponentName} ${ApplicationName} on ${NodeName} has been triggered.