This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10.4 - How do I monitor Hardware Health of Dell Servers?

I've recently upgraded to NPM 10.4, and although my Cisco devices are reporting the newly featured 'Hardware Health' status, none of the Dell servers I administer will display any hardware health.

When I list resources for my Cisco nodes I get a checkbox for selecting the option to monitor hardware health, however, when I list resources for any of my Dell boxes I don't get this option. Prior to NPM 10.4 I monitored hardware health using custom pollers, these custom pollers are still configured and working OK so I know the servers are capable of delivering this data.

I've tried customising a node details page by adding the 'Current Hardware Health' resource to see if this will display the information, but nothing is displayed.

Am I missing something, or is there a fault with my install?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

• Hi there,

Are these Windows machines?  If so, do you have Dell OpenManage Server Administrator installed on them?  You will need OMSA installed in order for Hardware Health to show up as a selectable resource. Here is an excerpt from the guide:

Monitoring Hardware Health

SAM monitors hardware by polling nodes and utilizing the Hardware Monitoring Agent software provided by the hardware manufacturer. SAM can monitor hardware from VMware hosts, HP ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge, and the IBM X-Series using this software, which can be found using the links below:

• HP System Insight Manager (SIM v6.2 or higher is
      recommended)

• Dell OpenManage Server Administrator

• IBM Director (Common Agent, v6.3 or higher is
      recommended)

If they are ESX/ESXi hosts, then OMSA is not a requirement.

Hope that helps!

Scott

• Yes, Dell Openmanage Server Administrator is installed on all boxes. I had to ensure this was installed for my previous custom pollers to work.

Don't understand why my custom pollers can retrieve this info but the new Hardware Health function can't.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking and report back if I find anything.

• What version of OMSA are you using?  I had some 2850s running 6.x (I think) and Hardware Health wasn't listed until I installed a more recent version.  Mine are on 7.0 or higher now.

• OK, I'll try installing a later version of OMSA and see what that gives me.

Thanks,

• On another note, did you have to do anything additional on your Cisco devices?  I can see the Hardware Health resource when I list them for a Cisco device, and it's checked, but nothing ever actually displays on the Node Details page for them.  I posted about it here, but no responses yet.

Thanks.

• No, the new Hardware Health Status for my Cisco Devices was displayed after following the steps you have listed above. I you customise your summary page and add 'Hardware Health Overview', does this display and show any devices being monitored?

• Hardware Health Overview displays and lists 14 devices as Up (all of my ESXi hosts and a couple physical Windows machines), and 18 'Other' devices, which is all of my Cisco gear!  Interesting.

I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. But since you mentioned your Cisco monitoring was working.... emoticons_grin.png

• I wondered whether that display would indicate if your Cisco devices were being 'seen' by Hardware Health. Not sure why you can't see the state of these devices though, but at least you area step nearer ! emoticons_happy.png.

No probs with my thread, pleased we could help each other out. If the OMSA upgrade works I'll report back and mark this as correct.

Thanks,

• You'll need SAM in order to get hardware health of your servers.  NPM only covers hardware health of network devices.  If you want to use the UnDP within NPM to monitor your server hardware you should be able to get the desired monitors setup.

Jeff

• OK, I've already got UnDP in place to monitor hardware status of my servers, just thought that the Hardware Health feature in NPM might give me a more elegant solution.

I'll stick with what i've got.

Thanks,