3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 3:02 PM by RichardLetts

Failover Engine: Network configuration

Anthony Ussery

I'm trying to install the Failover Engine, and I'm stuck on the network configuration. This is going to be a physical-to-physical disaster recovery connection (over WAN).  The distant end is not a clone of the original; I'm actually going from a Dell R610 at my primary site to an IBM blade at the DR site.  I've got a grand total of 6 NICs on the primary, (4 on one team, two not connected), and 3 NICs on the secondary (two teamed, one not connected).

My main question has to do with the configuration of my network adapters:  Should the SolarWinds Channel adapter be different from the adapter I use for polling, and if so, can I just use the same adapter I use for polling as my Public Adapter (since that's the same adapter my users connect to the server through anyway)?

• Re: Failover Engine: Network configuration
          RichardLetts

The FOE/Solarwinds channel adapter MUST be different from the adapter you use for polling.

The servers uses the FOE/Channel adapter to synchronize configuration and log-files to the passive server.

The FOE will disable the adapter you use for polling on the passive [backup] server (the Neverfail packet driver performs this function)

Therefore, they have to be separate adapters.

I've not done this, but see no reason why it would not work:

If you have VLANs available on the server(s) then you could try creating two VLAN adapters. Now you'll have two logical network adapters available one for the FOE channel and the other for the polling channel. FOE can disable the polling channel on the passive server without killing the FOE channel being used for replication.

Also: note that if you are in a WAN scenario make sure your syslog and traps are being sent to both the primary and secondary servers.FOE will ensure only the currently active server receives the packets and processes them into the database.

Hope this helps

/RjL

Anthony Ussery

Thanks!

I'll give this a shot.  So the adapters for the FOE/SolarWinds channel would be routable, then?

RichardLetts

I don't know what your network infrastructure is like to answer that. Here I have MPLS routers running VRFs so in my case 'Yes'

I have a pair of 'backdoor' subnets that are routed between the datacenters (in our backdoor network) that carry the FOE and SQL traffic

I have a pair of 'frontdoor' subnets that are globally routed in the network (in our management network) that carry polling, syslog, and trap traffic.

I ended up with what we have by sending Visio diagrams to our SolarWinds sales folks and asking them if that would work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful