2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 11:24 AM by james.w.troy

Does SWIS have a "rediscover" verb ?

james.w.troy

Dear Sir or Madam -

We are using the Orion SDK with SAM version 5.2.    Does SWIS support a  "rediscover"  verb ?

If so, would you please provide an example showing the proper syntax to use in Powershell ?

Thank you.

James Troy

• Re: Does SWIS have a "rediscover" verb ?
          tdanner

No, SAM 5.2 does not have a verb for rediscover. NPM 10.4 adds some verbs that give you some control over the network discovery process. I expect that this functionality will make it into SAM at some point, but I can't make any promises. I also couldn't say whether that will cover your needs without more details.

• Re: Does SWIS have a "rediscover" verb ?
              james.w.troy

Hello T.Danner -

From our perspective, it appears that useful information that the "discover" function retrieves is sysDescr.  In our environment, other things like sysLocation and sysContact have no value.  So we're not interested in having the "discover" function occur frequently.  It is really only needed when the node is first added.

We will be synchronizing our SAM installation with our CMDB on a daily basis using the SWIS interface from Powershell.  I think that when the node is added, if we have set the "discover" frequency to once per day (1440 minutes), then SAM won't discover the node type (i.e. sysDescr) for a day after its been added.  So, it would be nice to command SAM to discover the node just after adding it.

The only alternative I can see would be for SAM to be smart enough to recognize that a node has been added but discovery has never run and then run discovery itself.  That would require an enhancement to SAM.   I was looking for a way to handle the requirement myself.

Thank you for your reply.

James Troy