1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 5:32 PM by Lawrence Garvin

Microsoft Update vs Windows Update

bryancave

I am finding that for more and more of our servers, I am in need of Microsoft Update, and not just Windows Update... Yes, for those whom do not know, there is a difference.

Is there a way for Microsoft Update, to be enabled through the PatchManager interface? Would it be possible to get that feature added? Would help immensely, considering MS does not allow it to be controlled via GPO, and the only solution I can find, is a script.

• Re: Microsoft Update vs Windows Update
          Lawrence Garvin

Greetings Bryan.

The content available via WSUS is the same content available via Microsoft Update. As you note, there is a distinction between WU and MU. WU is OS-only content; MU includes application content. The content from MU is acquired by WSUS by enabling one or more of those product categories in the WSUS Products & Classifications configuration options.

If this is a question of invoking the OPT-IN to Microsoft Update (vs Windows Update) on a per-system basis, so that you can invoke remote scans via Microsoft Update, that is not something that can be directly invoked by Patch Manager, but it can be enabled through a simple client-side script, which can be bundled up as a package with Patch Manager, if desired. More about the script is available from this MSDN article in the WUAgent API.

The actual script commands are as follows:

Set ServiceManager = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager")

ServiceManager.ClientApplicationID = "My App"

'add the Microsoft Update Service, GUID

Set NewUpdateService = ServiceManager.AddService2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")