This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrading NPM from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1; any problems/resolutions in doing so?

Upgrading NPM from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1; any problems/resolutions in doing so?

• I have done this upgrade a few times without any issues with our clients.  Nice new features, plus some fixes.  Since you aren't making a huge leap between release levels, you are OK.  But, you should always make sure you have a recent backup of the DB, just incase something unexpected happens.  You should have the DB  backed up before every upgrade.

Also make sure to look over the release notes below just to make sure you other modules are at current levels supported by 10.3.1.  If you have NCM, take a close look at the issue described with v6.x.

SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor Release Notes

Orion NCM v6.X is incompatible with Orion NPM v10.3 on Windows Server 2003
    running IIS v6

Due to a known application pool sharing issue, Orion Network
    Configuration Manager (NCM) version 6.X will not function when installed with
    Orion Network Performance Monitor (NPM) version 10.3 on servers running Windows
    Server 2003 with Internet Information Services version 6 (IIS6). For more
    information, see the SolarWinds knowledge base.

Zak Kahl

Http://www.loop1systems.com

• I have done several upgrades and the only problem I ever seem to run into is 2012 sql objects.  For some reason they seem to stall out the NPM installer on my systems.  Pretty sure that there is a GP somewhere that is the culprit but havent found it yet.  I usually just uninstall the objects and the installer reinstalls them for me.  Other than that pretty smooth.

• I did this same upgrade a few months ago.  We own NPM, SAM, NTA, IPSLA (VNQM). NCM, and UDT.  I upgraded NCM the same night so that they were both the latest version.  I had zero issues (other than forgetting my NCM DB password).

This was the smoothest upgrade yet, with the most to do....

• Good Luck... let us know how it goes... :}