3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 1:44 PM by nicole pauls

Cannot login LEM web portal

Eric Chan

I am doing a LEM POC and creating some rules and configurations.

however, the web console becomes slower and slower,

finally, i cannot control the appliance.

we have tried to refresh the web portal, use another web browser, and restarted the virtual appliance,

however, all the method cannot resume the web management console, it only shows "Finishing Console Layout" for a long time!

anyone has the experiences on th

• Re: Cannot login LEM web portal
          nicole pauls

Eric,

A few possibilities come to mind.

Does this happen on all systems that try to access the LEM console/appliance once it starts, or is it only your computer?

Does this happen to all users that try to access the LEM console/appliance once it starts, or is it only your user?

For those, you might try another user (other than admin) on another computer (other than your workstation) to see if it's widespread.

If your PC is already strapped for resources, the LEM console might not run well.

Lastly and possibly most importantly, I'd check to make sure your virtual appliance has reservations - minimums and maximums - set on the LEM virtual appliance. If the performance charts look erratic or if it's using high CPU unexpectedly, setting reservations can make a huge difference. Let us know if you're using VMware or Hyper-V and we can provide instructions.

Eric Chan

actually, the system is hang on the page before login.

i have tried to use different computer to connect with the web console, however, all results the above picture.

i believe the physical server has enough resources to share with the virtual appliances since we are running SolarWinds LEM on the server only.

our client think this SolarWinds LEM is not really stable.

By the way, as i know that Trigeo has been bought by SolarWinds more than a year,

but we still found that there is a lot of coding / logo displaying Trigeo instead of SolarWinds.

Besides the issue, anyone has some comparison documentation between SolarWinds and Splunk?

it seems that Splunk is easies for technical user to do the log correlation and search the event log directly.

one more thing, can SolarWInds LEM collect log from Windows Server without agent?

any comment on this?

thanks.

nicole pauls

Eric Chan wrote:

actually, the system is hang on the page before login.

i have tried to use different computer to connect with the web console, however, all results the above picture.

i believe the physical server has enough resources to share with the virtual appliances since we are running SolarWinds LEM on the server only.

our client think this SolarWinds LEM is not really stable.

Ah, if it's happening before you get a chance to log in, then it can't be related to the user, or computer.

Regarding VM resources, we have found that VM reservations need to be set for best performance even if the VM should have plenty of resources. In fact, some of our smallest customers have reported the strangest behavior, resolved by setting reservations in the hypervisor. I still recommend that you do so and it is highly likely that it will resolve this issue.

By the way, as i know that Trigeo has been bought by SolarWinds more than a year,

but we still found that there is a lot of coding / logo displaying Trigeo instead of SolarWinds.

True, parts of the agent and various other things do still contain "TriGeo". We focused on changing customer-facing things without affecting the installations of our MANY installed customers. You will probably still find instances of "Hyper9" in Virtualization Manager and "Tek-Tools" in Storage Manager, too, or even a rogue "Cirrus" in NCM. If there are any in particular that bother you most, feel free to let us know and we'll move them up the list to be addressed.

Besides the issue, anyone has some comparison documentation between SolarWinds and Splunk?

it seems that Splunk is easies for technical user to do the log correlation and search the event log directly.

one more thing, can SolarWInds LEM collect log from Windows Server without agent?

any comment on this?

Splunk is a good system for aggregating many disparate sources of varied log data and presenting it to you for search. It has many of the same functionalities as a SIEM system, but took a different approach. Think of it as a bottom-up approach rather than a top-down approach. SIEM systems were built for real-time correlation powered by a normalized taxonomy (categorized and parsed) events, whereas Splunk (and Log Management systems) were built to index and store volumes of log data with searching and correlating built on top of it. It's more of a platform for log data, which is very "open" in regards to what you can do, but it depends on your expertise level, amount of time to implement, and budget, as to whether it is a good fit.

At this time, LEM requires an agent to collect Windows data. We're looking into agentless options, though.