3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 4:06 PM by tom.rybka

Add node to SAM with PS -> node display problem on web console

james.w.troy

I use the Powershell SWIS snap-in to add an ICMP node to Orion System and Application Manager version 5.0.   This is successful.

When I view the Node Details page on the Web Console, it displays the  "Average CPU Load & Memory Utilization"  pane with a message saying -

"There was an error rendering: Average CPU Load & Memory Utilization >>"

For an ICMP node, the web console should never attempt to display that pane at all.

If I manually add the same ICMP node it does not attempt to display that pane.

How to resolve this so we can use Powershell to add nodes and have them display correctly on the web console ?

Thank you.

James Troy

• Re: Add node to SAM with PS -> node display problem on web console
          tom.rybka

Hi James,

Your question, especially the cause of your problem, is covered by the following thread already: Re: SDK 1.4: Adding a node, but tooltip never populates when you hover over node in GUI. Please initialize CPULoad, MemoryUsed and PerectMemoryUsed properties to -2.

However, there is a few more properties that I recommend to initialize to 0 when creating new Orion.Nodes instances (otherwise you may experience similar behavior in Current Cisco Buffer Misses resource):

BufferNoMemThisHour

BufferNoMemToday

BufferSmMissThisHour

BufferSmMissToday

BufferMdMissThisHour

BufferMdMissToday

BufferBgMissThisHour

BufferBgMissToday

BufferLgMissThisHour

BufferLgMissToday

BufferHgMissThisHour

BufferHgMissToday

james.w.troy

Hello Tom -

I tried your suggestion and that appears to work.

FYI - when trying to diagnose this problem, I added the ICMP node via Powershell, then used SWQL to dump the table.  Then I added the ICMP node via Powershell, then used SWQL to dump the table.  I then compared the rows, field-by-field, trying to see the difference.   I never found anything that looked relevant.   That is because SWQL does not display the fields called CPULoad, MemoryUsed and PercentMemoryUsed.   So, the lesson is - don't rely on SWQL to look at the database, only use direct access to the database (e.g. SQL Management Studio).

Thank you very much for your support.

James Troy

tom.rybka

Hi James,

I am glad that you got it working. Although you are right that the properties like CPULoad and its mapping to the database table column for CRUD operations is undocumented, we still recommend using SWQL and access via SWIS as much as possible. In return, it should help you to be prevented from impact of any database schema changes and other internals that may happen in future. There may also be additional actions invoked which direct access to the database would bypass. We are still improving the API, however there may be use cases that are not fully supported by the current SWIS API yet and direct access might be necessary.