This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

monitor AD group membership changes

All-

I have a large number of active directory groups that need to be monitored. the groups in question all have a naming convention of "SG-servername_Support". I want to be able to have an notification every time one of these groups has its membership list change. In the alert, I would like to see which group changed, how it changed (who was added or removed as a member), and which active directory user made the change.

My question is two fold: first, can alerts like this be set up (if yes, how)? second, do i have to configure a rule for every security group that I have? or is there some sort of wild card functionality that I can use?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Yes this is possible, and no/yes - you should be able to use wildcards. First, make sure you have your windows auditing enabled such that it logs these changes.

The easiest way is to use the out of the box "Auditable Group Events" Alert Group and create a rule that says:

[Auditable Group Events].GroupName = "SG-*_Support"

That will tell you whenever a user is added, removed, or group properties are updated and the Group Name contains that string. Alert Groups basically act like a built in "OR" for multiple different types of events that might occur, so you don't have to build multiple rules.

If you want to send an e-mail, the default "Account Modification" or "Domain Modification" template should work. You definitely want to capture EventInfo (description of change), GroupName (group that was changed), and SourceAccount (account that made the change), along with the timestamp (DetectionTime).

You could also go to the rule library (NATO5 Rules) and clone the rule "Group Events" and tweak it, but I think it'll be just as fast to build yours from scratch since you'll have to tweak both the correlations and the email template anyway.

Edit: I also wanted to add that if you do need to build a list of possible server group names, using a User-Defined Group would be the way to do it. You could build a UDG that had SG-servername1_Support, SG-servername2_Support, etc in it and then plug that into the right side of the equals sign in the correlation. The UDG acts as a built in OR as well ("match one of the items in this list").

Let me know if it'd be helpful to see an example, I can build it and export it for you, or take a screenshot!

• Thank you so much for all your help on this.  Unfortunately, I am REALLY new to Log and Event Manager. Can you give me the "for dummies" version of your instructions? I went to Build --> Groups and found the Alert Group "Auditable Group Events", but am confused on where to go from there. Do I edit the built in AlertGroup? Or clone it and edit the clone? Or something else entirely? And if I edit it...I cant seem to find the portion to put in "GroupName="SG-*Support"

If you dont mind, it would be really helpful to see an example. I want to build it myself, because that will help me learn it, but I am not sure where to start.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kris_mortensen

No problem! If you want to use a default group, you don't need to do anything in Build>Groups. That's basically for building blocks that are used in rules, filters, and searches. If you want to get an email, head over to Build>Rules and build a new rule.

Go to Build > Rules

Create a new rule

On the left hand side, select the "Alert Groups" list

Select the "Auditable Group Events" Alert Group

In the list of fields below "Auditable Group Events" click on "GroupName"

Drag "GroupName" into the correlations box (where it says "drag here")

What you'll see will be: [Auditable Group Events].GroupName = *

Click on the * to edit it and make it SG-*Support

At this point you've got a rule that says "if you see any Auditable Group Event where the Group Name matches SG-*Support"... and need to fill out the "then" which is actions.

On the left hand side, select the "Actions" list

Select the "Send Email Message" action

Drag it into the "Actions" box on the right side (orange)

Click the Template dropdown and select the "Account Modification" template

Select the user who should receive the e-mail in the Users dropdown

Fill out the fields in the e-mail by dragging fields from the Auditable Group Events Alert Group into the boxes in the action. For example, for $info, click and drag EventInfo into the box to the right of it. This basically says "whatever is in the EventInfo field when the rule fires, put it in the email".

Do the same thing for the other fields in the email.

Provide a name and click the "Enable" checkbox at the top of the rule to turn it on

At that point, you might make a change and see what you get. You can use the "Change Management Events" filter in Monitor to see that data come in in real-time, in case something comes out not quite as we expected.

It might be helpful to check out the rules quick video which runs through a simpler example first - Creating Rules for Real-time Correlation and Response with Log & Event Manager

• Super helpful! Thank you! Just a few things to go over though:

When I try to select a user that should be a recipient of the emails, I actually want it to be a distribution group…how do I do that? Right now the only recipient option that it gives me is the local admin account which doesn’t have an email address. Also, what are the following fields for:

$Action

$Date

$info

$User

I will definetly watch the video too.

• FormerMember

What I'd do to send to a distribution group is go to Build > Users and create a user that's a "Contact" user (doesn't need to be able to log in) that has the address of your DL.

Then, go back to the rule, and select that user as your User to notify. (That list only shows users that are in LEM)

The way email templates work is they glue together plain text in the template with dynamic fields from the events as they occur. So if you're tracking a group change alert, that template has stuff like:

"Something was modified blah blah, this is what it was: $Action. This is when it happened: $Date. This is more info about it: $Info. This is who was modified: $User." $Action, $Date, $Info, and $User are things you tie up to the actual group change event so they get substituted in automatically.

So, you'll want to drag:

[Auditable Group Events].EventInfo into $Action

[Auditable Group Events].DetectionTime into $Date

[Auditable Group Events].SourceAccount into $Info

[Auditable Group Events].GroupName into $User

That way you get the 4 pieces of information you're most interested in (what happened, when, what group was changed, and by whom) into the email.

You can also build your own e-mail templates in Build > Groups. Then you can call the fields whatever you want emoticons_wink.png

• Very cool! Can I not use an distribution group in AD for this though instead of a contact that is stored in the virtual appliance? And where are the settings to configure the smtp server that it uses to send with?

• FormerMember

Yeah, you should be able to add the AD group to LEM and use the built-in contact address. Here's the KB: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: How to create LEM console users with domain credentials

To configure the email server: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: How to Configure the Email Active Response Connector

• This alert isnt working... I performed a group membership change after configuring my domain account as the recipient of the alert, and never received the alert. I cant tell if the rule itself isnt firing, or if I'm just not getting the alert because of some sort of mail send error... where do I begin to diagnose this?

• FormerMember

Step 1: Did you see the alert in the Console?

Check "Change Management Events" filter or search (Explore > nDepth) for "Auditable Group Events" (make sure the timeframe covers the time you made the change).

If not, we're either looking for the wrong thing, or something's not configured. Make sure the event is appearing in the DC's event log (if not check audit policy), make sure there's an agent on that DC and the right Windows Security Log connector is configured. If that all checks out, try searching for the Event ID instead of the type of event (just put the event ID into the search bar in nDepth).

Step 2: You saw it in the Console, but did the rule fire?

Check "Rule Activity" filter (or SolarWinds Alerts) for InternalRuleFired that says "the <whatever> rule fired" - one of these is triggered corresponding with rules firing so that you can retrace the steps. (If this happened too long ago, you can use upper left Gear > Send to nDepth to search historical data for when it might have fired in the past). Inside that event if you look at the details is a list of the actions that were triggered by that rule firing, so you can make sure the right one is selected.

If you don't see InternalRuleFired, either your appliance clock is more than 5 minutes off from your DC's clock, you forgot to "Activate Rules" after changing the rule, or something's up with the rule. Activate Rules is as simple as going to Build>Rules and pressing "Activate Rules" (this pushes your changes to the appliance so that new alerts are compared against the new criteria). To check the criteria, compare the rule to what you found in the search or filter.

Step 3: You saw InternalRuleFired, but did you get an email?

If you made it this far, chances are something's amiss with the email or user. You can check this with the "SolarWinds Alerts" filter, where you should see Internal alerts that indicate whether the action succeeded or failed - you'll see errors if it failed, or might see empty fields where something's not filled out correctly. You can also use the Event Explorer to see all related events - go back to the "Rule Activity" where you saw your rule fire, click on the InternalRuleFired for your rule, then on the upper right "Explore" and choose "Event". In the center, you'll see your InternalRuleFired, on the left, the alert that caused the rile to fire, and on the right side, you should see the actions that occurred. If you double click on the action, it'll move to the center, and on the right side you'll see the response, whether it succeeded or failed.

Double check the e-mail configuration (does a test e-mail succeed?) and double check the address for the user you've got selected in the rule.

Portions of these troubleshooting steps are also here, but I added some extra steps: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Troubleshooting LEM Rules and Email Responses

• I do see the event show up in the DC event log and also in the LEM console...the rule is not firing though as far as I can tell. I dont even see a failure event in the SolarWinds alerts filter. I activated the rule, the appliance clock is spot on, but I cant figure out what is wrong with the rule. thoughts?