4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 10:51 AM by charlesw

Traffic analysis

charlesw

I have a request to monitor several networks for 10 days and provide the following analysis.

- Generate traffic status report and bandwidth utilization reports (High/Low/Avg)

The intent is to add specific users into groups such as accounting, engineering, etc.

Measure usage for 1-2 weeks.

Provide usage report per group to include bandwidth (High/Low/Avg) and top applications usage.

I’m currently not that familiar with NTA and was wondering if there is an easy way to accomplish this.

All suggestions and comments are welcome.  

Thanks

• Re: Traffic analysis
          darragh.delaney

Hi There,

I think you may have an issue with NTA as it focuses more on interfaces and IP addresses so its hard to group things by user or department. Are you planning to setup groups yourself or do you envisage integration with something like Active Directory so that you can use the existing users and groups?

Also, when you mention bandwidth utilization, are you referring to just usage on WAN links or is it total user traffic across the LAN, WAN and Internet? Depending on your requirements you may be able to use things like SPAN or mirror ports to get visibility inside your network.

Darragh

charlesw

I'm hoping that I will be able to setup groups based on IP address or range of IP's. I know this is going to take some work to accomplish and I will have to have them provide me the individuals IP address, but I think it is doable.

As far as bandwidth usage, we are only talking about bandwidth to the outside world. The intent is to measure the current bandwidth and put together an average usage model based on user type. This will then be used for future bandwidth planning.

What I’m mostly concerned with is determining the High/Low/Average utilization over a span of 2 weeks.

jswan

If you know your IP address ranges, all you need to do is set up IP Address Groups in the NTA settings page, then use Flow Navigator to filter on those ranges.

charlesw

I did a little research and I believe that as long as I can determine the IP address, then I can add them to groups to pull the information requested. At this point, I'm not aware of how many users they actually have for each department. I'm thinking that if they have a large number of users, we can provide the same information by taking a sample of users from each department.

Thanks