7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 12:06 PM by Leon Adato

Node Summary Report

jschlotzhauer

I am working to create a custom report in Orion Report Writer that allows me to summarize all of the nodes monitored on my network. I can't seem to figure out how to include all the nodes in the report. As of now it only includes the nodes that are currently "up" and have a Local Area Connection interface. Any thing I am missing? It seems as though it can be done considering they shouldnt give you the option for a "status" if it only displays nodes that are "up". Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Re: Node Summary Report
          Leon Adato

If you can show a screencap or upload the report, it would be easier to troubleshoot. What you are describing should be pretty easy.

jschlotzhauer

Here is the screenshot of what I am trying to accomplish for all of my nodes. I found that some of the nodes didnt have a LAN interface being monitored so that solves part of my problem, but I want to include nodes that are currently showing a down status as well as show either the CPU usage or Bandwidth traffic going to and from those nodes. Thanks for your help.

custom report.png

Leon Adato

Looks good so far, but without the actual report file (ends in .orionreport, usually located in C:\program files(x86)\solarwinds\orion\reports unless you installed somewhere else) it's going to be hard to troubleshoot.

Alternatively, a screencap of the field list and filter list in the reportWriter.

jschlotzhauer

Here is a screen capture of the report writer selected fields. As of now I dont have any "filtered results" configured. I tried to set a filter that displayed both nodes that were "up" and "down". This report is currently using the template from the Historical network topology.

custom report1.png

Leon Adato

Those fields don't look NPM-ish. Is this a different product?

jschlotzhauer

This is the report writer in Solarwinds Orion. This report writer is housed on the server itself as an application that comes along with NPM 10.3

Leon Adato

OK, I finally hunted this one down. I don't do much with topology reports so that's why the report didn't look familiar.

For those coming here later, the report in question is (in a default 10.3 installation) under the "Topology Reports" group, named "Discovered Links".

With that said, the reason you can only see "up" devices is because it's reading the mapping as reported by the switches in your environment. They only report the device at the end of their link where there IS a device at the end of the link (ie: when there is something turned on and reporting it's name). SO... unless there is a switch setting that tells the switch to remember the name of a device even after it's shut down. (I'm sure there IS such a setting, but I don't know it.).

So if you are trying to get a list of devices in your environment even if they aren't being monitored in Solarwinds,, you'll have to turn them all on first for this report to work.

If you are trying to get a list of nodes that are being monitored, then use a node inventory report instead. "Current Node Status" will probably suffice, or give you a base to work from to build your own report.

Hope that makes sense.

- Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful