6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 8:39 AM by jspats

Getting dn syntax error

jspats

so i am trying to import some test users to see if all is well with this tool but i am getting the following error:

An invalid dn syntax error has been specified.

i have no idea what syntax is wrong. it looks fine to me.

the only thing i can think of is that i didnt include DN on my spreadsheet because i have no idea what that maps to in this tool.

is there and dictionary of sorts that will show what the solarwinds attributes are the in active directory world since there are some that have different names?

• Re: Getting dn syntax error
          yleshch

Hello,

Are you trying to run tool as Administrator? (right click on tool icon -> Run as Administrator)

Please enable Verbose logging (Settings -> Logging level), save settings and try to run your test again.

Then go to C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\UserImportTool and get logging file and send it to me via private message or just attach to your message here.

yleshch

Hello,

Did you run your test after had enabled Verbose logging?

DN stands for distinguisehd name, You can have something unsupported by Active Directory in your Organization Unit or some other field.

jspats

i did run the test after verbose logging but saw no such log in that directory. i even looked in appdata local and roaming.

i do understand what DN stands for but i did not see any filed in the solarwinds tool to map it to. what is it called in SW?

i think i narrowed the problem down to the cn field on my spreadsheet.

we use last, first for the cn but it fails when i include that field. i have mapped it to Common-Name in SW.

if i remove the field the import works but the name is listed as first last in AD.  i need last, first.

thoughts?