This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM Events delayed

Hello,

We have NPM running on a network that does not touch the internet.  It is run on windows server 2008.  It was setup prior to me arriving here, but I have noticed that whenever something happens,  say a device stops responding to icmp,  it goes down immediately in the node list....but it does not reflect in the event section for quite some time,  maybe an hour or 2.  Any ideas what might be causing this?

• Just a shot in the dark, but are you looking at an alert event that has a delay set on it?

• Well I looked at the alert settings and dont see delay settings and the poll interval is 60 seconds.

• Sorry if you already know this:

In the alert, go to the first tab and make sure the time there is set low. Usually it's 60 seconds.

On the trigger tab (second one from the left) check the time there. If it's unusually high (say an hour?) then that's your culprit

On the trigger actions tab (second from the right) check the actions - do you have an action that writes to the NPM event log? If not, this is not the droid... I mean the alert we're looking for.

• I appreciate the assistance,  when i go into the alerts, i dont see any tabs.  The poll interval is set to 1 minute. I dont see a trigger tab or trigger actions tab. Maybe I am looking in the wrong area?

• He is talking about the Advanced Alert manager.

You access this directly on the server that is hosting the NPM installation.

Should be under..

Start>All Programs>SolarWinds Orion>Alerting, Reporting, and Mapping>Advanced Alert Manager.

Once open find the Alert build for the Nodes, and open it up.  Then you can see the different tabs to check through and see what delays are set.  Also check the Actions Tab.  This is where the Event Log action is at.  Open it and check and see if it has a delay set there as well.

If you aren't using Advanced Alerts open the Basic Alert Manager.  Find your alert for the nodes and go to the Actions Tab.  Find the Event Log action and open it.  You will see the timers that is speaking about.

• Ok I see it now.  Well I checked everytihng,  nothing is set to more than a minute.  So I dont know.  Maybe I should delete them and recreate and see what happens.

• Check under the Trigger Actions tab on the Advance Alert. Double click on the Action and then look into the Alert Escalation tab. See if anything is selected in there.