6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 9:49 AM by Sohail Bhamani

License Agreement

lross94

We have a test network and a production network.  I would like to be able to set up Solarwinds on our test network in order to play with settings and experiment with some things before changing settings in our production environment.  Does the Solarwinds license agreement allow for a production installation as well as a installation on our test network for the purposes I just described? 

• Re: License Agreement
          Richard Nicholson

No you can't split the license between the boxes.

There is a feature request going to have SolarWinds provide the ability to use our Licenses in a Test/Dev environment, or provide current maintenance contract customers with Test/Dev licensees.  It's a big headache for now.

Currently you have to just download the latest EVAL version for testing, and use it's free 30 day license.  After it expires you need to uninstall and re-install to continue your testing.  Same thing for when you want to test a new release before you place it in production strip out the old build and install the new one with a 30day EVAL license.

If you are a paying customer you can also participate in the Beta and RC program which can give you the ability to test new features with a Beta or RC license they will provide you with.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Sohail Bhamani

If dealing with the demo vm snapshot dance routine is too much, the entry level licenses are pretty cheap.  If you catch it at the right time, you can get pretty good deals too.

The Beta and RC programs are excellent as Richard pointed out.  Solarwinds says that the RC version is supported, but I am unsure if this has to be on your existing license or a separate one.  Would be good to know.

I personally fire up a vm and drop a 30 day eval on it until I figure out what I am after (new features, client event reproduction, etc).

Sohail Bhamani

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

lross94

I can probably put up a VM in the test envrionment and install a 30 day eval, but my most pressing need at the moment is to test the upgrade procedure.  We are running a back level version and I need to upgrade to NMP 10.3.1.  Are there any back level evals that I can install so that I can test the upgrade procedure?

Sohail Bhamani

How far back of a version are you talking about?  They do have a upgrade path defined in the release notes.  Here they are for NPM:

SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor Release Notes

Sohail Bhamani

Loop1 Systems

lross94

We are running NPM 10.1.2 SP1.  They really want us to test things here on the test network before we perform the action on the production network.  So it would be nice to have an older eval version so that I can install it and then run through the upgrade procedure before attempting the the upgrade on the production network.  Thanks for the link on the upgrade path.  I had seen that information previously, but that page did a better job of presenting the information that what I had seen before.

Sohail Bhamani

10.1.x to 10.2 is a pretty big jump as they went to multi threaded polling.  10.2.x to 10.3.1 is good as well, but not nearly as huge of an impact compared to 10.1.x to 10.2.  You might be able to call up SW support and get a link direct to the older versions.  I remember they kept the files available on amazon s3.  In fact, you might be able to craft the url from the very recent one but just change the version to be what you are looking for.  This used to work, but support will most definitely have a link for you.

Sohail Bhamani

Loop1 Systems