This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Device Interfaces you wish to not import in the future

Is there a way to only discover and import X,Y interfaces but not Z. I choose Op Up but interfaces like loopback, wifi0, ath0, etc always seem to sneak in when I really only want to import Port interfaces.

dev

• Hi Ken,

I am afraid it is not possible for interfaces right now. You can create your ignore list for nodes only. Anyway we plan some kind of interface filtering for future release.

Thanks,

Pavel

• The unwanted interfaces can be added to the ignore list after discovery, but this quickly becomes impractical as your number of access ports and VLANs increase.

There is no way at this time to filter what interfaces are discovered.

The approach I've taken is to unselect all ports when importing a node and then go back to each individual switch and add just those ports that I'm interested in.  I don't bother with the ignore list anymore.  This does mean that every morning all my switches still show up as changed nodes because there are interfaces found that are neither monitored nor ignored.

• Yeah. Solarwinds NPM is a great product but needs better tools for dealing with a constant changing network. Because we are a carrier ISP, we are adding switches all the time.

• It could be years though, before this feature gets implemented. I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet since interfaces are the most basic thing to monitor.