11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 2:50 PM by oslasu

Adobe Reader 11.0.0.379 (Full and/or Upgrade) Issue/Error

IGFCSS.DSI

Hi,

Today I tried to install the 3rd Party Update "Adobe Reader 11.0.0.379", first the full version and then the upgrade. Both packages were deployed to 2 computers with Acrobat Reader 10.1.4. On both computers the packages failed to install.

AdobeReader.png

I've searched the WindowsUpdate logs and the Solarwinds Knowledge Base for the code 0x80070643 and found some issues with the PackageBoot. Activated the PackageBoot logging (article on knowledge base) and from the logging file found the following error:

2012/10/19 16:27:30:807 PID: 3720 TID: 2088 ewException caught: The packageboot.xml file could not be found. File: PackageBoot.cppLine: 101 stack trace :

2012/10/19 16:27:30:822 PID: 3720 TID: 2088 _tmain() call failed. Message: ewException caught: The packageboot.xml file could not be found. File: PackageBoot.cppLine: 101 stack trace : . HRESULT: 0x2

Any suggestions?

This is not the first time I had issues with 3rd Party Updates and it seems that PackageBoot might have something to do it but... Lets concentrate on Adobe Reader and then the rest.

• Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.0.379 (Full and/or Upgrade) Issue/Error
          David Di Blasio

Try running through the following steps:

1. Right click on the problematic update and select the delete option.

2. Select the Software Publishing node and click Synchronize Now!

3. After the sync has completed and the package template is back in the catalogs right click on the update and choose the Download Content option.

4. Right click the update and Publish Package.

IGFCSS.DSI

Hi David,

Sorry it's been a few days since your reply and this message. Since last Friday my Patch Manager add some issues synchronizing the 3rd Party Catalogs due to licensing renewal issue, which was only solved today.

Returning to the problem form this thread. I've tried the steps you've suggested but the error persists.

I've checked on the folder Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install and the Update Agent downloads the 3 files needed by PackageBoot: application executable, packageboot.exe and packageboot.xml. Somewhere in the middle it seems to loose track of the packageboot.xml file...

Any suggestions?

IGFCSS.DSI

Hi again,

My Patch Manager due to the license renewal is not updating 3rd Party Updates, so I have to solve this problem before continuing to debug the current issue... I hope tomorrow to have this done and then test again for the Acrobat Reader... My last suspect is the PackageBoot itself and not the update from Adobe but need further debugging of the issue.

shaifulbusari

Greetings iGFCSS.DSI,

Have you found the solution for your issue?

I'm having the same issue with you and I'm also suspecting that it is related to PackageBoot.

Tried deploying Adobe Reader 11.0.0.379 and Adobe Reader 11.0.0.379 (Upgrade) but to no avail.

Same goes to me when I tried Adobe Reader 10.1.2 (Full), 10.1.3 (Full) and 10.1.4 (Full) as this required PackageBoot.

No issue with Adobe Reader 10.1.1 (Full) though

Keep getting the failed updates.

Below is the log I've copied from the client for EminentWare logging.

2012/11/21 11:38:35:811 PID: 1088 TID: 3800 globals::initialize() completed

2012/11/21 11:38:35:873 PID: 1088 TID: 3800 _tmain() was passed the path to the packageboot.xml file: /sall

2012/11/21 11:38:35:873 PID: 1088 TID: 3800 ewException caught: The packageboot.xml file could not be found. File: PackageBoot.cppLine: 101 stack trace :

2012/11/21 11:38:35:889 PID: 1088 TID: 3800 _tmain() call failed. Message: ewException caught: The packageboot.xml file could not be found. File: PackageBoot.cppLine: 101stack trace :. HRESULT: 0x2

Strange thing is, the packageboot.exe, AdbeRdr11000_en_US.exe and packageboot.xml is available in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install

And although the packageboot.exe and AdbeRdr11000_en_US.exe files are 1.69MB each, on Windows Update, it only shows as 629 KB.

I'm using McAfee Enterprise and have a feeling that it's related to the antivirus.

Anyone else have any idea on this?

Cheers,

Shaiful Busari

PavelSuchy

Hi Shaiful,

When republishing an update that has been previously approved (which means the client may have downloaded the binaries), the following steps should be used (and I think this will fix the issue):

1. Remove the approvals from the originally published update.
                          2. EXPIRE the originally published update.
                          3. Force all applicable clients to execute a new detection. (This will result in the client acquiring the NotApproved/Expired state of the update and should result in the client removing the file from the Download folder.)
                          4. DELETE the originally published update from the WSUS server.
                          5. Republish and approve the update.

Let me know, if those steps help, please.

Thanks,

Pavel

shaifulbusari

Greetings Pavel,

Thank you for your reply.

I've done the above and waiting for downstream servers to get replicated before I test it out.

This is because my Patch Manager + WSUS is not servicing any clients.

Will update you again the next Monday.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Shaiful Busari

shaifulbusari

Greetings Pavel,

Still getting same error after performing your mentioned steps.

Disabled McAfee on Server/Client still failing.

Anyone managed to pushed the Adobe or any updates which requires PackageBoot.exe successfully?

Edit: The Adobe Package file information on WSUSContent, it only shows 629KB, which I assume is not normal.

Cheers,

Shaiful Busari

PavelSuchy

Hi Shaiful,

What you described is a known issue which appears with packages with packageboot where the binary is overwritten during publishing process. In fact when you have a package which uses packageboot and you wont download the binary before publishing it will replace the binary with the packageboot.xml content. This issue wil be fixed in next release.

So my previous steps should work properly but you need to Download Content first and then republish the package again.

Other steps which can be taken are:

1. Duplicate the original package (it will create new package ID so no file from cache will be used)

2. Delete the original package (in fact you dont need to delete the original but you will see two same (similar) packages)

3. Download Content (this must not be done during publishing package but before and separately)

4. Publish the package

Let me know if you solved the issue with this update.

Thanks and sorry for the incovenience,

Pavel

oslasu

I'm seeing this issue on my PC today. I've followed these steps but I can't get the update to install:

1. Remove the approvals from the originally published update.
                          2. EXPIRE the originally published update.
                          3. Force all applicable clients to execute a new detection. (This will result in the client acquiring the NotApproved/Expired state of the update and should result in the client removing the file from the Download folder.)
                          4. DELETE the originally published update from the WSUS server.
                          5. Republish and approve the update.
                          6. Duplicate the original package (it will create new package ID so no file from cache will be used)
                          7. Delete the original package (in fact you dont need to delete the original but you will see two same (similar) packages)
                          8. Download Content (this must not be done during publishing package but before and separately)
                          9. Publish the package