This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Flash and Windows 8 (IE 10)

Currently the latest version of flash activex is configured with a prerequisite of any OS greater than 5.2 (windows xp).  The problem is Windows 8 comes with IE 10, and IE 10 has flash built in.  This is causing an installation failure when PM is trying to deploy activex flash.  Because flash is built into IE 10, it sees it is there, it wants to update it, but for whatever reason it cannot.  I am sure this is by design with IE 10.  Regardless, I believe your next release of flash should include an applicability or prerequisite rule to not include IE 10 with flash activex.  -mark

• In creating my own prereq rule i found something interesting.  I decided to add a prereq rule that checks the version of IE.  Looking at the same reg key used currently checking to see if IE is at least V7 or higher I found the version of IE used on my W8E and WS12S boxes was not what I expected.  These are full versions from Technet, and have been fully patched.  With Windows 7 Enterprise and IE 9, all with the latest patches its pretty standard.

Windows 7 Enterprise - IE9

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Build: 98112

svcUpdateVersion: 9.0.10

svcVersion: 9.0.8112.16421

Version: 9.0.8112.16421

W2kVersion: 9.0.8112.16421

With W8E, not so much:

Windows 8 - IE10

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Build: 99200

svcUpdateVersion: RTM

svcVersion: 10.0.9200.16384

Version: 9.10.9200.16420

W2kVersion: 9.10.9200.16420

Not sure why the latest Windows 8 Enterprise version from technet would have an "RTM" version of IE10?.  I dont have an actual W8E VL copy yet, so i dont know about VL.  The WS12 Standard version from Technet has the exact same IE10 info.

To remedy PM I added another prereq rule that checks the registry version for any IE less than or equal to Version 9.9.0.0.  I think this is safe as it seems the latest patched version of IE9 is 9.0.8112.16421.

• So my remedy is not working.  I am in prereq purgatory where simple things that make perfect sense, don't work at all or have completely unexpected results.  I really hope when the next version of flash is released it is well tested with Windows 8 and/or IE 10.