8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 11:45 AM by Fred Lipton

port listing sequence

Fred Lipton

I've got one Cisco 6509 out of fourteen that doesn't list ports in order by blade.  This particular switch lists blade #1 last instead of first. I've checked the port mapper settings and several switch's SNMP configuration to see where I can affect the order but come up short.  Tried reaching for straws: generating the report without the interface index column, target vlan addresses instead of loopback, changing the snmp source address.

The tool has always listed ports on chassis switches in blade order but not this time.  I'm stumpedHow it the sequence determined?

• Re: port listing sequence
          michalB

Fred,

I am afraid I don't understand your issue. Could you perhaps post a picture?

Fred Lipton

You can see from the slide bar this is the top of the display and the port listing starts with G2/1:

SwMap1.png

This is almost the bottom of the listing showing what ought to be listed last, the vlan's, followed by the 1st blade's ports.

SwMap2.png

All our other 6509's list in order of the blade numbers.  I've compared the switch configuration to others that display in proper order and see nothing that would impact this.

Please, and thanks...Fred

michalB

It appears to be sorted by the "Interface Index" column. Click any column header to sort the table by that column.

Fred Lipton

Michal, thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

I get the click the column header thing but it's not quite right.  Sort by interface name or interface description and you get g1/1 followed by g1/10; you have to get past g1/19 to see g1/2.

I've found no setting, nor think this is a bug, in the port mapper as it lists blades/ports sequentially on all our other switches [a mix of 6509's and 3750 stacks].  I cannot see where in the switch configuration anything to account for this.  My question remains how is the listing sequence determined: the port mapper or the response from the switch?  A followup question is how can I affect the results so blades/ports are in sequence?

Thnx...F

michalB

I am afraid this is the default alphabetical sorting by character, without recognizing the numbers in the text. I recommend contacting our support and submitting a feature request.

Fred Lipton

Michal;

-okay, I'm getting a little slower on the uptake as the years go by.  How is the "Interface Index" assigned?  Is that upon the original switch/device import?  Would removing and re-importing the switch re-number the interfaces in proper order?

Thnx!...F

michalB

Fred,

the interface index is provided by the device. It is read from ifIndex column in table ifTable (SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2). You can use MIB Browser (in Toolset) to get the table and see the indexes there. I am not sure whether it is possible to change it. I think that may depend on the actual device.

Fred Lipton

I understand.  I'm trying to recall if that #1 blade was there when the switch was originally imported, that's where I was going with the delete/re-import question. We may yet have to go there and if successful I'll put that out there as the solution.  Otherwise there are options [e.g.: output to a csv and massage the results in a spreadsheet].

Thnx for your assistance...F