Our requirements are as follows...
- Problem management as you have described above
- Change management for tracking requested changes, this doesn't need to be tied to an asset system
- Knowledge base
- Good reporting, this is a must have
- Workflow automation; auto escalation, triggering different events based on how fields are set, etc
- Customization; having the ability to create your own fields
- External database connectors; for importing data from other systems such as customer contact information from SalesForce
To byrona's answer I would just add user feedback/evaluation and the ability for the user/customer to track Trouble Ticket workflow/progress.
What about using automation?
I had some presentations about WorkFlow Orchestration where every workflow that can be provisioned by the helpdesk is automated. ( like new account / edit SAM information / disable accounts / create mailbox / add software to your desktop / and many more)
Is there anyone using that kind of software?, it would probably save a lot of helpdesk calls and helpdesk personel right?
I have seen so many cases where account's won't get disabled, people who are no longer working with the company can still login