5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 11:20 AM by Sohail Bhamani

Where to install IPAM

rulob

Hello,

Im a new Network Engineer in my company and they have been using Orion SolarWinds for some time now. Im in charge of getting this platform in peek condition for monitoring our network.

I've been doing some work with the NPM and I got an email about the IPAM app. Since we have quite a few IPs that Id like to manage by other means than Excel spreadsheet, I see this quite convinient.

My question is this, can I install IPAM in the same server where I have other Orion Solarwinds products? The Database server, can it be a virtualized server?

I'd apreciate any prompt response.

Regards, Raul

• Re: Where to install IPAM
          sirpaw

Hi Raul,

Yes, it is very much possible to install IPAM on the same server as your other SolarWinds products, provided that you consider the current size of network devices you're monitoring. Are you just using one polling engine?What are the other products installed?Are you already experiencing slowness in the app that you might want to evaluate first? Also,with the database, you also have to consider the load as well. I always prefer a database installed on a physical server, but you should consider performance issues resulting from your current and future monitored load.

Regards,

Paulo

rulob

Hi Paulo,

Thanks for a quick response. Its great to hear I can use the same server and install IPAM. The other Orion products I have is NPM and Network Atlas, also NTA. As of this moment we have only 1 polling engine. As far as I can tell NPM and IPAM can share the same engine correct? So far other products have no problems running.

I think the Database is physical, not virtual server.

Regards, Raul

Sohail Bhamani

Yes they can share.  In fact it was designed with this in mind.  The load that IPAM places on the primary orion server (polling engine) is very minimal.  The load IPAM introduces into the DB is also very minimal.  Of the products you listed, NTA will be the biggest consumer of resources in terms of your DB.  You most definitely want to ensure the DB has a maintenance plan in effect.  I would do a data integrity check and rebuild index at the very least.  If you DB is quite large, I would also introduce a compact but definitely stay away from a shrink.

The DB is the heart and blood of your Orion platform.  Treating it nicely and ensuring it is running in peak form will ensure your entire orion platform is running in peak form.

Sohail Bhamani

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

rulob

Thank you both for your input.

The instalation was very easy, now all is set to configure IPAM and start using it. Which brings me to my last question.

Whats the best practice to start using IPAM? I mean, what are the steps to take?

Configure Subnet Scan Settings, the Adding Supernet and Subnets along with IP addresses and finally configure the DHCP servers?

Any pointing in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Regards, Raul

Sohail Bhamani

You can do it either way.  There is no set in stone method.  I like to start with supernets sometimes and then use the subnet allocation wizard to carve out the subnets that I want to monitor.  I also like to then add the DHCP and DNS servers so I can manage those scopes and zones.  Cool thing is you can try one way and if it doesnt work out, you can remove it all and try again. No harm in trying.

Hope this helps.

Sohail Bhamani

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com