1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 2:45 PM by antwesor

Possible to get the patch manager to shut down Server A whilst patching Server B?

mgosden

Hi there

We have a situation where we need to patch (and reboot) several SQL servers on a monthly schedule. What I would like to do it is get SolarWinds to shut down my dependent IIS servers whilst the SQL boxes patch and reboot, and then restart them once the SQL machines have restarted. Does anyone know if this is possible or not? I have SW patch manager V1.80.785.0

Many thanks.

• Re: Possible to get the patch manager to shut down Server A whilst patching Server B?
          antwesor

mgosden wrote:

Hi there

We have a situation where we need to patch (and reboot) several SQL servers on a monthly schedule. What I would like to do it is get SolarWinds to shut down my dependent IIS servers whilst the SQL boxes patch and reboot, and then restart them once the SQL machines have restarted. Does anyone know if this is possible or not? I have SW patch manager V1.80.785.0

Many thanks.

That is highly dependent on the time that the SQL servers take to patch. It may be necessary to test the lowest hardware platform for the SQL servers to get an approximate time as to how long to schedule the patches. Even so, there may be some factors that change the time required to install the SQL machines. Patch Manager only schedules on a time basis so it would be necessary to see how long it takes and schedule 'enough' time and just use that number when doing the schedule. I would think this would be a risky thing to do IMO. It can be done with Patch Manager using two scheduled events, two for the IIS Servers and one for the SQL Servers. One for the IIS servers would be to shut them down, and the second would be to turn them back on after a specified period of time.

There may be other methods as well, but this is the only one I can think of at the moment.