7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 10:46 AM by lross94

Alert not resetting

lross94

I have a server that is triggering the "Disk over 95% space usage" and it is correctly sending out an email as it is configured to do.  The email message said Cached Memory is 100% full.  Now when I clear the cached memory, I would expect Orion to report that the cached memory would be at or, at least, near 0% full.  On the Node Details page for this particular server under the Disk Volumes heading, Orion still reports the cached memory at 100% full.  I have clicked the Poll Now function and still no change.  I have gone into the Advanced Alerts on the Orion server and checked the Acknowledged check box and still no change.  What am I missing?   We are running SolarWinds Orion Core 2011.1.0 SP1, NPM 10.1.2 SP1, APM 4.0.2 SP3

• Re: Alert not resetting
          mdriskell

From my experience (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) polling a node doesn't trigger the volume or interface statistics collection.  I always go to managed nodes and expand the node I'm looking for and the check the box next to the volume or interface and then choose poll now.....This seems to work

lross94

Mike, I go into Node Management and expand my server and check  the check box next to the object that I am intterested in (Cached memory), however, I do not see a poll now link.  Where do I need to look to find this?

lross94

Ok, I found the poll now link, however, I am still getting reports of the cached memory being 100% even after clearing the cache.  Is there a bug in the software version I am using or is there some setting that I don't have configured or configured correctly?

mharvey

Clearing the cache isn't going to do anything, the value is being retrieved from the database.  If it's still showing 100% either (a) the device is still reporting it that way for some reason, or (b) that volume isn't being polled even with a poll now.  If you have access to the SQL database I'd look for that volume in the Volumes table to see if the volume is getting polled by checking the nextpoll column. 

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

lross94

When I look under the volume details for the Cached memory on this particular server there is a chart at the bottom of the screen on the right hand side that gives the details of the Volume Size.  I can see where that chart is reporting different values.  Throughout the early morning it seemed to be pretty constant at just under 500MB.  About 4 am it jumped to about 750MB and over the next 5 hours gradually increased to about 775MB.  Then we cleared the cache around 9:30 am I see a drop down to about 400MB and a little later it reports about 250MB.  So it appears to be polling, but I seem to still always be in a critical state with my alerts.  My main concern is that when I go and fix a critical issue, I want to be assured that the server is going to turn green for me.

mharvey

The version you are on is a version I would recommend upgrading away from due to known issues with polling and reporting.  10.3 may show better results.  I'm not trying to throw that out to bypass identifying the issue, but that version had numerous issues as it split polling between two different services, one which is no longer used in the newer versions.  An upgrade may allow everything to sync back up and report properly.

regards,

Matthew Harvey

1 of 1 people found this helpful