3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 9:58 AM by qizak

Change alerting for specific VM's

qizak

Hi All,

Can someone advise where I can find documentation or give some step-by-step instructions on how you would effectively 'ok' some alerts so they stop being raised on certain VM's?

For example we have some specific VM's with old snapshots which we want to keep so do not want to be alerted by Virtualisation manager and some VM's whose CPU we know is running high so again do not want to be alerted. Is there a way we can exclude these from the alerts without disabling the alert for every VM?

I'm sure there will be as it's such a basic requirement but I just can't see how you do it!

Thanks in advance

• Re: Change alerting for specific VM's
          jan.kucera

Hello,

for excluding some items from Alert, you just need to specify exclusion in Alert's definition:

1) You need to open Alert

Explore -> Content -> Select desired Alert and click on Open to display Alert.

2) In Alert's view, click on Configure to edit Alert's settings. In tab Scope you need to edit Search Query by adding new constraint which will exclude your VMs. You need to specify VM uniquely, the best solution is usually VM guid, name and define NOT operator which excludes items from alert scope. For example:

vm.powerstate:poweredOn AND vm.swapMemload.latest:* AND NOT vm.guid: 427c20a8-333d-4f9e-9cf3-a480e8aff563 AND NOT vm.guid: b3ee4e8e-2ff5-491a-8719-c9cd617907b8

Milan_Volejnik

Small improvement - if there are many VMs you want to exclude, then the query would be quite long. In this case it is recommended that the VMs are labeled - see VMAN Admin guide how to create a new label (Virtualization Manager Administrator Guide -> Administration and Setup -> Advanced Setup -> Labels).

1. select all VMs you want to exclude in Search and press Label button

2. add a new label (i.e. "Snapshots_excluded"), fill in the label's value (for example "yes")

3. manually run Performance data collections

4. in Alert's view, click on Configure to edit Alert's settings. In tab Scope you need to edit Search Query

- i.e. "vm.snap.dateCreated:[* TO now-30days]" change to "vm.snap.dateCreated:[* TO now-30days] AND -Snapshots_excluded:yes"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              qizak

Thanks Jan and Milan - both answer my question.