8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 1:02 PM by KLH456

NetFLow Traffic Analyzer Interface Question

KLH456

NetInterfaces.jpg
      Hello...

Wonder if anyone can tell me the difference in these interfaces. I know that the two serial interfaces are the actual physical connections to the WAN. What are the MFR1 interfaces? Even though the percentage shows the same the mbps is double on the MFR1 interfaces. Just trying to understand the difference.

Also is there a report available similar to what this chart shows? I need to show the average utilization on the interfaces for a 7 day period. I have been preparing this report manually each week and it would be nice if it were already available.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Karen

• Re: NetFLow Traffic Analyzer Interface Question
          mharvey

The MFR is a multi-link frame relay circuit that's being reported by the device via SNMP.  More information on MRR can be found here: Multilink Frame Relay - Cisco Systems.  In terms of reports, there are many bandwidth reports in the Orion Report Writer that will show the same data.  Most of these are already setup in the Report Writer on the Orion server as Historic Interface Traffic reports.  In regards to the data being seen, this would be what's being reported by SNMP when NPM is polling the interfaces.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              KLH456

Thanks Matthew, that link is very helpful.

I will look into the reports further, I was simply looking at the Reports tab in the Web Interface. Sounds like I need to go to the Report Writer on the NTA server.

Karen Harbaugh

Systems Administrator

Berk-Tek

132 White Oak Rd

New Holland, PA  17557

717 351 9380

717 475 8097

karen.harbaugh@nexans.com

Richard Nicholson

To expand on this just a bit more without reading through the Cisco article basically you have 2 T1's that are being bonded virtually by the MFR Multi-Link Frame Relay as opposed to just straight Multilink.  Both T1's virtually load balance the traffic across them, and allows for you to lose a link and still provide services just at a lower bandwidth.

MFR allows you to build PVC's (Private Virtual Circuits) on the Link for other point-to-point frame connections using DLCI's (Data Link Connection Identifier) on the same link using a frame switch to point the DLCI's on side A to the proper DLCI's on side B.  This is one way providers can provide Site-to-Site access using Layer 2 technology.

This can be more costly, but more secure and controlled than using VPN connections over the INET for Site-to-Site communications because Site-to-Site traffic now travels directly on you or your providers core never leaving their enclosed network to get from one site to another.  Providers will also do this to deliver IAS (Integrated Access Services) across the same link and spliting the DLCI's on a frame switch to talk to the proper equipment on their end be it a router for INET, or a Class 5 switch, or SBC for a SIP trunk.