1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 2:14 PM by dsbalcau

Storage Manager alert scripting

ksnook

I'm not getting very far with Alerting for Storage Manager.

Can anyone help me with how I pass parameters from an Threshold rule into an alert? (the script I use actually sends a SMS message. In the standara prodcut we use $Node, $Device_Type but these don't appear to work.

I have tested the script form the command line and from a scheduled rule and they both work fine.

I'm not entirely sure the Threshold rules are doing anything as they don't send a trap either when I set that option on the rule.

Of course, I have to set up a new rule from the Default threshold rule, so I have a feeling that only one rule is firing - is that true?

I'm really unimpressed with the documentation and support I'm receiving as a pre-sales customer to the point where I might actually give up and go for another product.

• Re: Storage Manager alert scripting
          dsbalcau

Hi ksnook,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with setting up alerting. I'll be the first to admit that this feature isn't the most straightforward, but it can be pretty powerful once you get it set up. I've contacted one of my Sales Engineers, so hopefully he can assist you with any problems going forward, but I'll try to answer the questions you've posed as best as I can.

First, I would recommend you read this excellent Product Blog post by bmrad . It goes above and beyond our in-product documentation (something we are working hard to improve).

Now, to your questions:

Can anyone help me with how I pass parameters from an Threshold rule into an alert? (the script I use actually sends a SMS message. In the standara prodcut we use $Node, $Device_Type but these don't appear to work.

I'm assuming by "standard product," you are referring to NPM or our other Orion-based products? If so, then yes, there is no way to pass parameters to scripts in Storage Manager.

I have tested the script form the command line and from a scheduled rule and they both work fine. I'm not entirely sure the Threshold rules are doing anything as they don't send a trap either when I set that option on the rule.

Once you setup a rule, you have to assign it to a policy and push that policy to an agent. If you don't do this, the rule won't actually execute because it hasn't been set to monitor anything. Reference the Product Blog post for more information.

Of course, I have to set up a new rule from the Default threshold rule, so I have a feeling that only one rule is firing - is that true?

I'm not sure what you mean by "have to setup a new rule from the Default Threshold rule." Can you clarify?

I'm really unimpressed with the documentation and support I'm receiving as a pre-sales customer to the point where I might actually give up and go for another product

Again, I apologize that you're having a tough time. Hopefully, my Sales Engineer can help you through any other problems you have. Also, feel free to post back here with any other questions.

Thanks!