2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 4:10 AM by schnarked

Using IPAM for Telephone DHCP Scope Management

schnarked

Hi Guys,

Just doing some planning on how to deploy the IPAM solution as part of a wider NPM deployment - had a couple of questions after reviewing the IPAM Administrator Guide:

• My understanding is that Linux DHCP scope management is not a present capability of the system. From a quick look, I couldn't see it being on the roadmap - is this correct?
      • The telephones don't respond to SNMP so i'll need to use ICMP pings - will this provide MAC address information back?
      • The switches that the telephones are plugged into will be monitored through NPM. Will I therefore need to manually define them in IPAM in the Neighbour Scanning section again or will it be automatically transferred across
      • What benefits will I gain from enabling Neighbour Scanning if I can ICMP ping (but not SNMP poll) the telephones?
      • Is there anything else I need to think about?

Many thanks,

Kieran

• Re: Using IPAM for Telephone DHCP Scope Management
          jan.tauwinkl

Hi Kieran, here are my responses:

Q: My understanding is that Linux DHCP scope management is not a present capability of the system. From a quick look, I couldn't see it being on the roadmap - is this correct?

A: I can confirm that Linux DHCP is currently not supported. You can vote for this feature here - http://thwack.solarwinds.com/polls/1049

Q: The telephones don't respond to SNMP so i'll need to use ICMP pings - will this provide MAC address information back?

A: No, but see my answer to the question about neighbor scanning

Q: The switches that the telephones are plugged into will be monitored through NPM. Will I therefore need to manually define them in IPAM in the Neighbour Scanning section again or will it be automatically transferred across

A: You need to set those routers manually in IPAM.

Q: What benefits will I gain from enabling Neighbour Scanning if I can ICMP ping (but not SNMP poll) the telephones?

A: You will get MAC for IP addresses

Q: Is there anything else I need to think about?

A: I would recommend downloading trial version of IPAM and try it in your environment, this is probably the best way how to verify, that it fulfills all your needs.